NSA310 hard drive not detected

Marvell Kirkwood based
ndsinister

NSA310 hard drive not detected

Post by ndsinister » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Hi,

My NSA310 has been on for many years without any issues.
Recently, I started to hear noise that sounded like hard drive issue from the NSA310.
After so many years I thought maybe the HD is about to fail so I removed it from the NSA310 case and connected it to my computer to make backup of my files.
I ran disk check on it and check SMART status and apparently the HD is still in good condition. No errors were found.
I copied my files anyway for backup and during that time the HD sounded perfectly normal - another indication that it's ok.
I then inserted it back into the NSA310 case and now I when I start the NSA310 I can hear it is struggling to start the hard drive.
All led lights are switched on at all time and are green. I can hear the hard drive trying to spin back and forth.
The system is loading fine, I can access the web GUI and I can see that there's no volumes listed and SATA volumes. Also the HD led on the NSA310 is switched off.
I tried another HD that I have and heard the same noise - the NSA310 is failing to start the HD.
I Googled this issue and found a thread from this forum talking about possible wrong power supply used. But in my case, the device was connected for several years with the same old power supply - nothing has changed. The power supply output states 12V 2.5A and is the stock power supply that I got with the NSA310.
I tried factory reset - didn't help.
I updated the firmware to 4.70 (before that I had 4.6x) - didn't help.
In the web gui when I click on Create new volume it says there are no disks found.
I was about to conclude that the unit has reached it's end of life and probably I need to buy a new NAS, but then decided to see whether somebody can suggest a fix.
Thanks a lot for your help!

Mijzelf

Re: NSA310 hard drive not detected

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:25 pm

If you can, try another power supply. These boxes don't have eternal life. If it's not the power supply, and also not the disk, then it's probably the DC-DC convertor on the PCB. (The power supply gives 12V, but the disk mainly uses 5V. The CPU&memory use yet another voltage, 3.3V) Theoretically that can be exchanged, but in practice the NAS is dead, in that case.

ndsinister

Re: NSA310 hard drive not detected

Post by ndsinister » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:53 pm

Thanks for your help. It was indeed the power supply! :) I bought a new one from Amazon with almost the exact same specs and everything is back to normal.