What to do with NSA-310?

Marvell Kirkwood based
sittingduck

What to do with NSA-310?

Post by sittingduck » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:44 am

I was just given an old TDC Home Disk, which is actually a Zyxel NSA-310 running custom and outdated firmware. I've never had a NAS before and decided to get my feet wet on this old thing. So I debranded it (to make it a real NSA-310) and flashed the newest Zyxel-FW and set it up. But this old box has its flaws, it turns out (eg media server not supporting subtitles and no SMB2).

I spent a bit of time reading about how to go about these things, but got a little overwhelmed with subjects such as FFP on stick or as pkg. I could really use a couple of pointers.

Ideally I would like to install minidlna (for subtitle support), entware (for SMB2 support), and Transmission (for torrents).
What would be the best way to go about this for someone without any linux-knowledge (but fairly tech-savy and able to follow guides).

Thanks in advance.

Mijzelf

Re: What to do with NSA-310?

Post by Mijzelf » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:50 am

If you have installed the SMB2 mod, you can install Transmission following the Entware-ng wiki. AFAIK there is no wiki entry for minidlna on Entware-ng, so I'd simply do

Code: Select all

opkg install minidlna
and then look in /opt/etc/ for it's configuration file.

If you really want to get your feet wet, you can install Debian on that box. On forum.doozan.com you can find more information.

sittingduck

Post by sittingduck » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:36 pm

Thanks for answering. Unfortunately I got completely sidetracked by real life but now I'm ready to rumble :-) I have two follow up questions:

1. How /where exactly do I type the "opkg install minidlna"- command? I'm not Linux-savvy at alle, but with a starting point, I'm sure I'll find my way.
2. The installing Debian-option also sounds cool (because I guess that makes me able to install updated versions of everything). I had a look at the website, but it's not quite clear to me: Is it just for making the box into a little computer running Debian or is it still aimed at NAS-usage?

Thanks in advance.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:04 pm

sittingduck wrote:1. How /where exactly do I type the "opkg install minidlna"- command?
On the commandline. You'll have to login over ssh or telnet, for that. The Entware-ng wiki page tells more about it.
2. The installing Debian-option also sounds cool (because I guess that makes me able to install updated versions of everything). I had a look at the website, but it's not quite clear to me: Is it just for making the box into a little computer running Debian or is it still aimed at NAS-usage?
You install a basic Debian OS. But of course all possible NAS functions are covered in the 37000 packages which are available from the repositories.

sittingduck

Post by sittingduck » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:04 am

Fantastic - thanks a bunch.