HELP: Cannot open TUN/TAP device?

Marvell Kirkwood based
Post Reply
andwan0
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:40 pm

HELP: Cannot open TUN/TAP device?

Post by andwan0 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:05 am

Wed Feb 14 00:08:12 2018 PUSH: Received control message: 'PUSH_REPLY,ping 3,ping-restart 10,ifconfig 10.24.101.21 10.24.101.22,dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8,dhcp-option DNS 8.8.4.4,route-gateway 10.24.101.22,redirect-gateway def1'
Wed Feb 14 00:08:12 2018 OPTIONS IMPORT: timers and/or timeouts modified
Wed Feb 14 00:08:12 2018 OPTIONS IMPORT: --ifconfig/up options modified
Wed Feb 14 00:08:12 2018 OPTIONS IMPORT: route options modified
Wed Feb 14 00:08:12 2018 OPTIONS IMPORT: route-related options modified
Wed Feb 14 00:08:12 2018 OPTIONS IMPORT: --ip-win32 and/or --dhcp-option options modified
Wed Feb 14 00:08:12 2018 ROUTE default_gateway=192.168.1.1
Wed Feb 14 00:08:12 2018 Note: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: No such device (errno=19)
Wed Feb 14 00:08:12 2018 /ffp/sbin/ifconfig 10.24.101.21 pointopoint 10.24.101.22 mtu 1500
ifconfig: SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
Wed Feb 14 00:08:12 2018 Linux ifconfig failed: external program exited with error status: 1
Wed Feb 14 00:08:12 2018 Exiting



What is TUN/TAP? How do I get this device? Am running fun_plug 0.5. (I previously was on fun_plug 0.7 but didn't like it as funpkg wouldn't recognise any tgz files, and openvpn didn't even run.

barmalej2
Posts: 2398
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: HELP: Cannot open TUN/TAP device?

Post by barmalej2 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:11 pm

If ffp 0.7 arm is outdated, then ffp 0.5 is very very very outdated.
andwan0 wrote:I previously was on fun_plug 0.7 but didn't like it as funpkg wouldn't recognise any tgz files.
That is the way it should be. fun_plug 0.7 changed packaging compression, thus funpkg works with 0.7 packages only.
andwan0 wrote:What is TUN/TAP? How do I get this device?
tun.ko module is available for download in zyxel_modules package in Mijzelf repository as ffp 0.7 package for apprioprate kernel. More info:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentatio ... tuntap.txt
BTW. We have fully working openvpn solution in ffp0.7 (for ZyXel NSA3** series):
https://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic ... 49&t=18397

andwan0
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:40 pm

Re: HELP: Cannot open TUN/TAP device?

Post by andwan0 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:54 pm

barmalej2 wrote:If ffp 0.7 arm is outdated, then ffp 0.5 is very very very outdated.
andwan0 wrote:I previously was on fun_plug 0.7 but didn't like it as funpkg wouldn't recognise any tgz files.
That is the way it should be. fun_plug 0.7 changed packaging compression, thus funpkg works with 0.7 packages only.
andwan0 wrote:What is TUN/TAP? How do I get this device?
tun.ko module is available for download in zyxel_modules package in Mijzelf repository as ffp 0.7 package for apprioprate kernel. More info:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentatio ... tuntap.txt
BTW. We have fully working openvpn solution in ffp0.7 (for ZyXel NSA3** series):
https://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic ... 49&t=18397
Thanks for your speedy reply.

I couldn't get access to fonz resync repo rsync://ffp.inreto.de/ . I did google problem and it says something to do with my DNS server.

I'll try to delete DHCP lease from router and try again.

From that huge tutorial on setting up a VPN Server, I guess I just need to skip most of it and try from section 3 "configuring client side"... if am using hosted paid VPN. Actually from other instructions, I just need to run openvpn --config <ovpn file> and that's all... running in console..
then I assume ALL processes accessing the internet goes through the network/tunnel device.

andwan0
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:40 pm

Re: HELP: Cannot open TUN/TAP device?

Post by andwan0 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:40 pm

barmalej2 wrote:If ffp 0.7 arm is outdated, then ffp 0.5 is very very very outdated.
andwan0 wrote:I previously was on fun_plug 0.7 but didn't like it as funpkg wouldn't recognise any tgz files.
That is the way it should be. fun_plug 0.7 changed packaging compression, thus funpkg works with 0.7 packages only.
So, it should be possible to DIY self-repackage a funpkg 0.5 to be 0.7 compatible?

Also, ffp 0.7 is the LATEST version.. Is there another newer version???

barmalej2
Posts: 2398
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: HELP: Cannot open TUN/TAP device?

Post by barmalej2 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:00 pm

andwan0 wrote:I couldn't get access to fonz resync repo rsync://ffp.inreto.de/ . I did google problem and it says something to do with my DNS server.
Because it is rsync protocol not http. inreto.de site is fully functioning at at moment.
andwan0 wrote:From that huge tutorial on setting up a VPN Server, I guess I just need to skip most of it and try from section 3 "configuring client side"... if am using hosted paid VPN.
Wrong. Instructions are for specific server setup on Zyxel NSA3** series and specific PC client setup for accessing server on NAS. As your intention is to use openvpn service as the client, then it is totally different and simpler case. You should use your VPN service provider's instructions for adjusting client config file-/ffp/etc/openvpn/client/client.conf. For openvpn client daemon service start use command:

Code: Select all

sh /ffp/start/openvpn-client.sh start
For installing ffp0.7arm openvpn package use these instructions:
1. # Check, if you have slapt-get package installed. If no, then proceed further else proceed from step3:

Code: Select all

funpkg -q slapt-get
2. # If there is no slapt-get installed, then create funpkg cache dir for br2 repo in case it not exists and install new slapt-get package manager:

Code: Select all

[ -d /ffp/funpkg/cache/br2 ] || mkdir -p /ffp/funpkg/cache/br2
cd /ffp/funpkg/cache/br2
/ffp/bin/wget -nv http://downloads.zyxel.nas-central.org/Users/barmalej2/ffp/0.7/arm/packages/slapt-get-0.10.2t-arm-2.txz
funpkg -i slapt-get-0.10.2t-arm-2.txz
3. # Update slapt-get lists and upgrade core packages:

Code: Select all

slapt-get -u
slapt-get --upgrade
4. # Restart sshd daemon service after upgrading, if you are using it:

Code: Select all

sh /ffp/start/sshd.sh restart
5. # Install openvpn package with dependent packages together:

Code: Select all

slapt-get -i openvpn
andwan0 wrote:Actually from other instructions, I just need to run openvpn --config <ovpn file> and that's all... running in console..
then I assume ALL processes accessing the internet goes through the network/tunnel device.
You will be surprised, but it is not so easy as it seems at first glance, either way you had it running already.
BTW. You didn't tell your NAS model and kernel version, which is important for drivers.
Also, ffp 0.7 is the LATEST version.. Is there another newer version???
Yes, it is latest and outdated version. I have plans to release major update for ffp next month.
So, it should be possible to DIY self-repackage a funpkg 0.5 to be 0.7 compatible?
Everything is possible, it is just matter of time, patience and desire. Edit: Didn't read carefully that question. I am not sure, but if clearly remember they incompatible.

P.S. As another option instead ffp consider installing entware-ng:
https://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic ... 49&t=18281

User avatar
MrDini
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: HELP: Cannot open TUN/TAP device?

Post by MrDini » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:48 am

Because it is rsync protocol not http. inreto.de site is fully functioning at at moment.
Fonz's rsync server is dead currently. And in the slacker's sites list, there is an rsync link. Also in the uwsiteloader list. So we have to replace the links from rsync to http which is currently working fine.
Thanks nas-central the lot of help! :)

Post Reply