undelete on NAS 325 v2

Marvell Kirkwood based
krakatamu

undelete on NAS 325 v2

Post by krakatamu » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:58 pm

Hi,
First post here, but visited many times to get to understand stuff better. Great forum - replaced my fan on idea from here. Now, I need a bit of help - ideas, anything.

I installed a google drive sync tool played with the setup for a while and didn't like what I saw for some reason. Decided to hit the delete button for the settings and that deleted one of the folders on my NAS... obviously it was assuming I do not need the "synced" but never actually synced data from there... long story short - 30GB of files and folders are gone. Deleted.

I looked into EXT3/4 tools like extundelete but that I have no idea how to get on the NAS (no such package, no idea what binary to get or build for the NAS, is the toolchain there ready for it...)
Another idea I saw was to attach the two drives to SATA on a PC, boot a linux, get the RAID running, run extundelete there and backup on another drive.

I am very fuzzy on all of this as I am not frequent linux user, so:

Any ideas are more than welcome!

NAS is powered off now.

Mijzelf

Re: undelete on NAS 325 v2

Post by Mijzelf » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:24 pm

I think the only sane way to run extundelete is on another Linux system. While it's possible to compile it to run locally on the NAS, it can only run on an not mounted volume. The NAS will automatically mount the volume, and it's hard to unmount it, because all kinds of services will have open files on the volume.
And that open files is the second reason not to use the NAS itself. Every change to the filesystem lowers the odds that extundelete will be able to recover the files.

krakatamu

Re: undelete on NAS 325 v2

Post by krakatamu » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Thanks, i was learning on that idea too.
I'll get the drives to my office - i have better resources there..

Cheers Mijzelf