General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:16 pm 

These instructions needs revising and editing due to fact, that latest Synology packages are not compatible with Zyxel's NSA3** series firmware glibc library.
If you want to install PMS, use PMS Netgear ARM 5X package (with bin filename extension) and update instructions on the second post. Just instead Update choose Install=>Latest in visual menu.

I am glad to present you, the result of joint work-Plex Media Server-PMS running on FFP 0.7-arm. It is one more solution for your local and online media using NAS'es, which are based on arm architecture. Here is instructions, how to install and setup Plex Media Server on FFP 0.7-arm.

Prerequisites: FFP 0.7-arm, updated slacker sites (repositories) with Uli's uwsiteloader.sh script.

You need to login via ssh to NAS with root privileges and follow further steps. For Zyxel's NAS users, login with restricted admin account is recommended firstly, then elevate privileges up to root user by executing command:
Code:
su
It is strongly advised to read all this post carefully, before proceeding.

1. Install PMS FFP 0.7-arm package from Mijzelf repository:
Code:
slacker -UaA mz:plexmediaserver
The package itself contains only plex FFP management script file-plexmediaserver.sh, which will be installed to /ffp/start/ directory.
There is no files of Plex Media Server in package, to avoid licensing and distributing restrictions.

Available script commands are:
Code:
root@NSA310:~# sh /ffp/start/plexmediaserver.sh help
Usage: /ffp/start/plexmediaserver.sh [ start | stop | status | restart | version ]

2. Second step is about to install Plex Media Server itself to FFP.
Since plexmediaserver.sh script version-20140206, running it without an option, will display the graphical menu, which will give you possibility to install, upgrade, uninstall, start and stop Plex Media Server.
Code:
sh /ffp/start/plexmediaserver.sh
Menu options are not static. They changes accordingly to the status and condition of PMS: installed or not installed, running or not running, autostarting enabled or not.
Attachment:
InstallPlex.png

Select install command in menu (picture above) and press OK. Now you have to choose, which version of PMS to install (picture below). You can choose between Synology (with *.spk file name extensions) or ReadyNAS arm packages (with *.bin file name extensions). Recommended is Synology package, because it will install faster, due to faster decompression algorithm. Select upper Synology package, which is the latest one at the date of script build and press OK to start installation.
Attachment:
choosemenu.png

After confirmation, script will start to download 56,2 MB Synology arm package-PlexMediaServer-0.9.8.18.290-11b7fdd-arm.spk, extracts files to temporary directory, copies them to /ffp/lib/plexmediaserver/ and then removes temporary directory. This step can take about 2-4 minutes (this is of course partly dependent on the internet bandwidth), so wait until you will see-done and EXIT button appears. Press EXIT button and it will bring you back to main screen of menu.

3. Third step is about to run PMS for first time. It's most important step, because during this step PMS creates main directory for plex settings and data - PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR=/mnt/HD_a2/programs/plex/lib on your NAS hard disk. About 60MB of data will be placed here after first start and will grow, depending on your media library size. To start Plex Media Server, simply select Start command in visual menu:
Attachment:
Startmenu.png

Alternative way, if exited from menu, to start PMS from shell command line interface:
Code:
sh /ffp/start/plexmediaserver.sh start
During first start, PMS detects the system and selfconfigures for it, loads plugins, updates them, updates plex/web, restarts and etc. First start takes about 8-10 min, but actually it is important to leave it alone at least for 30 min (to let the Plex fully selfconfigure and because of plex automatic updates), before entering first time Plex/Web configuration page. Plex development team is pushing automatic updates very frequently.

4. After first start is done, you can proceed to Plex/Web configuration page: http://Your_NAS_IP:32400/web. Here you can specify paths to your media content and manage Plex settings. More information about configuring PMS is available on:
http://www.plexapp.com/help/
http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Guides
http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Plex_FAQs
http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/PlexNine_PMS_Subtitles
http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/57778-missing-subtitles/
http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Plex_Media_Server_Preferences
Important!. After adding directory to PMS video, photo or music libraries, Plex begins to scan for media content and search for metadata on internet databases. It is very CPU intensive job and uses a lot of memory resources. Further NAS usage can be problematic, until the scanning is complete (Plex/Web configuration page should be available during this operation). Scanning of mine media library (149 GB-122 small and medium video files) took about 1,5 hour. So, maybe it is wise, to leave this job for over the night, if you have a big collection of media.
On Plex/Web settings page you can disable services, that you don't need. For example, if there is no iOS DLNA clients, you can disable Bonjour service, iPhoto sharing, iTunes sharing and Aperture sharing.

5. Enable autostart of Plex Media Server on NAS boot:
Code:
chmod 755 /ffp/start/plexmediaserver.sh
or alternatively select Enable_autostart command in visual menu, when running script without option.

6. Extend the functionality of DLNA client:
For Samsung Smart TV's-install Samsung plexapp on TV itself from Samsung apps store-it's free (http://plexforsamsung.pbworks.com/w/page/40757181/Home). For LG Smart TV's use MediaLink service.

That's all. You can start using Plex Media Server.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
How to update your current installed version to latest one

http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=249&t=7603&p=37803#p34073
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Uninstall procedure

Note: This will remove PMS data and settings files also.
1. If you want to remove Plex Media Server, stop it first, then run a script without an option and choose Uninstall option in visual menu:
Code:
sh /ffp/start/plexmediaserver.sh stop && sleep 5
Code:

2. Remove PMS FFP 0.7 package:
Code:
slacker -rA plexmediaserver

3. Remove script file:
Code:
rm /ffp/start/plexmediaserver.sh

Have a fun! Thanks to Mijzelf for help and good work on script creation, NSA221 forum users for testing

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by barmalej2 on Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:12 am, edited 95 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:18 pm 

#######################Plex Media Server update instructions#######################
Prerequisite: First of all upgrade Plex Media Server FFP package:
Code:
slacker -UaA mz:plex
Then follow automatic or manual PMS update instructions.

Automatic PMS update way

Run script without arguments:
Code:
and choose Update option in menu, then Latest. Update procedure will begin. Wait until you will see-Done and EXIT button appears. Press EXIT button or Enter key on your keyboard and it will bring you back to main menu screen. Now choose Start option to start PMS server.
IMPORTANT! When starting PMS server first time after update, leave your NAS running alone and wait at least 30 minutes until PMS recreates plugins, updates Plex/Web, selfconfigure. Only then, you can enter Plex/Web for configuration or start using PMS wih DLNA client.

Manual PMS update way (allows to install certain version)

1. Stop Plex Media Server.
Code:
2. Go to tmp directory:
Code:
cd /tmp
3. Download latest or any other version of PMS Netgear ARM 5X package (with bin filename extension):
Code:
wget https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/0.9.11.1.678-c48ffd2/PlexMediaServer-0.9.11.1.678-c48ffd2-arm.bin
4. Run the script, select Update command in menu and press OK:
Code:
On the next window select Local_file:
Attachment:
UpdateFromLocalFile.png
and press OK again. It will open file browser window, where you can specify the Netgear package to install. Use Tab key to jump green cursor to Files field on right side of active window and move cursor with up and down arrow keys to highlight desired Netgear package file. Now select that file with spacebar-full path to it should appear in lower field of window. Press OK to confirm your selection:
Attachment:
selectfile.png

Update procedure will begin. Wait until you will see-Done and EXIT button appears. Press EXIT button or Enter key on your keyboard and it will bring you back to main menu screen.

5. Now choose Start option in meniu and press OK to start PMS. Alternatively, if exited from menu, you can start PMS from shell command line interface:
Code:
IMPORTANT! When starting PMS server first time after update, leave your NAS running alone and wait at least 30 minutes until PMS recreates plugins, updates Plex/Web, selfconfigure. Only then, you can enter Plex/Web for configuration or start using PMS wih DLNA client.

6. Remove downloaded Netgear package:
Code:
rm /tmp/PlexMediaServer-0.9.11.1.678-c48ffd2-arm.bin

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by barmalej2 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 22 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:17 pm 

HOWTO: track Plex Media Server startup and others errors

1. Stop Plex Media Server.
Code:
2. Remove old logs
Code:
find /mnt/HD_a2/programs/plex/lib/Plex\ Media\ Server/Logs/ -type f -iname "*log*" -exec rm -f {} \;
3. Start PMS and wait about 1 minute, untill Plex Media Server fully start:
Code:
4. Get list of errors on screen:
Code:
grep -r "CRITIC*\| ERROR*\|WARN*" --include=*.log* /mnt/HD_a2/programs/plex/lib/Plex\ Media\ Server/Logs/
5. Or redirect output to file:
Code:
grep -r "CRITIC*\| ERROR*\|WARN*" --include=*.log* /mnt/HD_a2/programs/plex/lib/Plex\ Media\ Server/Logs/ >> /tmp/plexerrors.log

Note:
It is "normal", if you are getting only the following errors:
Code:
/mnt/HD_a2/programs/plex/lib/Plex Media Server/Logs/PMS Plugin Logs/com.plexapp.system.log:2013-12-23 13:11:53,283 (4687f490) :  WARNING (core:528) - Unable to retrieve the machine identifier or server version.
/mnt/HD_a2/programs/plex/lib/Plex Media Server/Logs/PMS Plugin Logs/com.plexapp.system.log:2013-12-23 13:12:13,630 (4001e370) :  CRITICAL (runtime:709) - Private handlers are no longer supported; couldn't register <bound method StreamService.token_handler of <streamservice.StreamService object at 0xc25730
These are old errors as far as I can remember and up till now they are still unresolved.

Last edited by barmalej2 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:01 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:01 am 

Hi.. I am new to all this SSH and Telnet (used it once for an Apple device, but nothing like this)

I would love to try out your tutorial.

Could you explain in simpler language, how you install this PMF FFP 0.7-arm package, where you download it ect...

I am getting the main concept of the tutorial, but i dont know how to do the steps.. I have tried to download Putty and root the NSA via Telnet...

when i write the http://<local ip adress>............ type=sshd_tdc i get a white page with nothing on it but the text result=0

Inspite of my lack of knowledge... good job with the tutorial anyways..

Kind regards

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:48 am 

First of all you have to setup Fonz Fun Plug-FFP 0.7-arm version. You can do this in several ways:
On usb stick-http://zyxel.nas-central.org/wiki/FFP-stick
On NAS HDD-http://zyxel.nas-central.org/wiki/FFP_as_zypkg
Then connect to FFP telnet session, enable FFP ssh daemon and disable FFP telnet.
Everything is explained on wiki in details.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:31 pm 

Thanks for your tutorial, it works great!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:22 pm 

i have try you toturial but i get this:
root@nsa220:~# slacker -UaA mz:plex
Updating package lists...
fetch: rsync -q 'rsync://ffp.inreto.de/ffp/0.7/oabi/packages/CHECKSUMS.md5' '/ffp/funpkg/cache/s'
fetch: (cd '/ffp/funpkg/cache/mz'; wget -Nnv 'http://downloads.zyxel.nas-central.org/Users/Mijzelf/FFP-Stick/packages/0.7/oabi/CHECKSUMS.md5')
No packages found (status Iiu, pattern (^mz:.*plex))

???

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:51 pm 

Targan wrote:
root@nsa220
Sorry, the '220 is an OABI device. Plex only runs on EABI. ZyXEL started supporting EABI with firmware 4.40, but the 220 was already EOL.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:56 am 

Thanks for the great guide.

I'm trying to uninstall PMS in favor of MiniDLNA and when I try to execute the ./plexmediaserver.sh stop
command, I get a "permission denied" error.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:34 am 

Have you really installed it?
If you logged as root, then this error can only appear in one case-no exucute permission bit set to script file. Try to set it (it is required to install plex too and guide above covers that, read it carefully)
Code:
chmod a+x /ffp/start/plexmediaserver.sh
Then you will be able to run all commands: start, stop, install and uninstall plex.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:47 pm 

Nevermind, I got it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:49 am 

how to update to 0.9.7.17.469?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:05 am 

Update instructions moved to second post.

Last edited by barmalej2 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:48 am 

Thanks B, for your instructions.

The new update is running sweet.
However I do feel the Serviio DLNA server is much beter than the PLEX DLNA server.

Cheers,
Fremko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:03 pm 

It depends on what you need and what you can do. Nor PMS, nor Serviio are not lightweight programs and requires too much system resources. Minidlna is light and quick, but lacks most of functions, that PLEX or Serviio can offer.
Actually I am not using any of DLNA servers. For videos, I can use samba-cifs shares on NSA 310 (cifs.ko module is loaded on TV itself) , which let me avoid any of DLNA limits. For online content-xupnpd+udpxy tandem is pretty good for me.
BTW. Serviio evolved recently only with version 1.0. Before that, it wasn't so attractive. And we have separate topic for Serviio related info.
Cheers,
B

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next