NSA320 - Fan Replacement/Updated PWM Script?

Marvell Kirkwood based
phoenix125

NSA320 - Fan Replacement/Updated PWM Script?

Post by phoenix125 » Sat May 04, 2013 10:40 pm

I bought an NSA320 a couple of days ago and overall I am very impressed with it, the only thing that lets it down is the noise of the fan. I bought it assuming that 'Smart Fan Control' meant that it wouldn't be at 2800 RPM all the time, but it is...

Having read around the forums I installed FFP and tried to run the fan control script posted a while ago, but it seems that the 320 doesn't have PWM fan control (or at least on the latest version of the firmware). Is this a hardware thing - i.e. we will never be able to PWM control the fan on the 320, or is it a software limitation?

I've looked around at buying a 60mm fan to replace the one already there, but am having trouble finding one that will fit. There is only about 20mm clearance from the back of the case to the HDD cage, and most of the aftermarket 60mm fans are 25mm deep. I have found one - the Scythe Mini Kaze - but this is only a 2 pin fan and doesn't have the third cable to report the RPM. I'm not sure if the firmware would complain about this? Has anyone else replaced the stock fan?

Any information would be great!

Mijzelf

Re: NSA320 - Fan Replacement/Updated PWM Script?

Post by Mijzelf » Sun May 05, 2013 11:25 am

Here is a thread in a (German) forum about silencing the box. That forum has more interesting threads when you search for lüfter.

Recently I noticed that on boot the fan of my 325 only started rotating when the kernel was halfway booting. That suggests that some GPIO is used by the kernel to enable the fan. In that case the fan also could be disabled. Unfortunately the GPL sources don't tell anything about it, so either it's a side effect of some other action (enabling USB power?) or for some reason the hardware starts the fan delayed.
If there was a simple GPIO pin I suppose ZyXEL already would have disabled the fan when not needed.

About that 3th wire, I read somewhere that someone used a 2 wire fan, and the NAS didn't care. Of course the webinterface shows 0 RPM, but no buzzer or shutdowns.

phoenix125

Post by phoenix125 » Sun May 05, 2013 6:26 pm

Yeah I noticed about the delayed fan start too.. perhaps as you said there is a GPIO pin but I haven't seen any other mention of it. My knowledge of the linux kernel isn't great but i'll do a bit of digging around.

Thanks for the link.. I don't speak German but I put it through Google translate and managed to get the jist of it. Some on there are talking about mounting a 2.5cm wide fan on the outside of the case, which is a possibility but given what you said about the firmware not really monitoring the fan RPM I might purchase a Scythe Mini Kaze and just ignore the fact that it reports 0 RPM. I'll report back when I get it.

Shame that our interpretation of 'Smart Fan Control' isn't the same as ZyXELs :lol:

Legolas2

Post by Legolas2 » Sat May 18, 2013 2:53 pm

phoenix125 wrote:Yeah I noticed about the delayed fan start too.. perhaps as you said there is a GPIO pin but I haven't seen any other mention of it. My knowledge of the linux kernel isn't great but i'll do a bit of digging around.

Thanks for the link.. I don't speak German but I put it through Google translate and managed to get the jist of it. Some on there are talking about mounting a 2.5cm wide fan on the outside of the case, which is a possibility but given what you said about the firmware not really monitoring the fan RPM I might purchase a Scythe Mini Kaze and just ignore the fact that it reports 0 RPM. I'll report back when I get it.

Shame that our interpretation of 'Smart Fan Control' isn't the same as ZyXELs :lol:
Hi Phoenix
Did you make any changes to install the new fan? Please let us know... I would love to change the fan/silence the beast too.

niks4adam

Post by niks4adam » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:01 am

FYI - If anyone's looking for a little bit more info on the fan, I ran across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAwAFUL_zZc

You can add some oil to quiet it down, and if nothing else, this will give you the fan's model number to get a replacement.

grumpyshouse

Post by grumpyshouse » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:19 pm

I know its an old thread but thought I'd add my experience.
I have just swapped the original fan for a Scythe Mini Kaze 60mm.
Immediately there is less fan noise :)
unfortunately the fan seems to 'pulse' , not a complete start / stop cycle but a definite fall and rise in rpm causing a different but still annoying background noise. :(
This I assume is either a) a faulty fan, possible but it is new or b) something related to the fact it is 2 wire and not 3 like the original.
The admin page shows 0rpm as expected and the log has a warning 'fan speed too low', but the NAS continues to work as it should.
There is nothing obvious in the admin section for fan adjustment/ modification etc.

Is there a way of modifying the software/firmware or whatever that will allow access to the fan control? maybe modding the config file?
Excuse please the ignorance, I'm at the blunt end of computer related modification :)

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:30 pm

As far as I know it's not possible to influence the fan speed from userland linux. I think on the NSA32x the fan is controlled by a microcontroller, which is not directly accessible. I also think the microcontroller doesn't use the tacho wire, else a 2 wire fan would run at full speed.

So the controller uses fuzzy logic to regulate the fan speed by PWM to get some target temperature, or it has a lookup table temperature vs PWM.

Your 'fall and rise in rpm' can be caused by a wrong lookup table.

Maybe you can bypass the microcontroller by connecting the fan directly to 5 or 12V.

grumpyshouse

Post by grumpyshouse » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:43 pm

Mijzelf wrote:....

Maybe you can bypass the microcontroller by connecting the fan directly to 5 or 12V.
Thank you Mijzelf.
Would you know if there is a 12v out on the board?

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:46 pm

When I remember well the external power supply is 12V. If not, I think you can find 12V at the sata power connector.

grumpyshouse

Post by grumpyshouse » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:21 pm

Mijzelf wrote:When I remember well the external power supply is 12V. If not, I think you can find 12V at the sata power connector.
we_are_not_worthy-962.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.