General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:53 pm 

I have a Lacie 5big Network 2.

This NAS is not more accessible.
While accessing the web interface i see this message:

Your device may be powering on. Please try again in a few minutes.

How can i reset to factory default?

I have followed the instruction from : http://manuals.lacie.com/en/manuals/d2- ... ork2/reset

But the nas is still not accessible and the Blue Led is blinking.

Regards,

Rene

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by rene3000 on Mon May 20, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:34 pm 

As far as I know you get this message when you connect to the webserver (Apache) while the backend (Unicorn) is not yet started. That fits with your blinking blue led, as Unicorn switches off the blinking when it's started up.

The reason that Unicorn doesn't start could be a corrupt configuration, in which case a factory reset should solve the problem. You already did this. Did it act a documented, including flashing red leds, etc?

I think I/O errors while assembling and mounting the data partition could also keep Unicorn from starting properly. In that case you have a partly failing disk. Pulling that disk and rebooting should do the job then. Unfortunately I don't know which disk. Maybe you can see something on the flashing patterns of the leds on the back.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:43 pm 

if i try to reset to factory default with data lose the big blue led must first blink red and blue, but the front LED Turns solid blue.

Wile resetting i must remove all disks.

I have tried all options (http://manuals.lacie.com/en/manuals/d2- ... ork2/reset) and wait about 24 hours, but the front led blinks still and i cannot access the NAS.

Still the message " Your device may be powering on. Please try again in a few minutes"

Is there another way to reset the nas or load the 5big_network2_2.2.9.1.capsule.

Through Network assistance i cannot load the capsule.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:35 am 

When the front led doesn't turn red, the reset won't work, as the reset condition isn't detected by the firmware. That is at least true for the 'reset without data loss'.

And about the 'reset with data loss', well, I wonder if this is supposed to work on all 5big2's. Normally a Lacie has it's firmware on disk, so when you remove the disks it cannot boot anymore. Yet the 5big2 is sold with and without disks. The diskless version is sold as 5Big Network 2 Diskless, and is actually a different box than the '5Big 2 with disks', it has some extra flash memory to be able to boot without disks, and to initialize disks.
Yet that article doesn't say it only works for a Diskless.

I still think one of the disks is (almost) dead, in a way it disturbs the normal fault detection and correction process. You can try to boot it on 4 disks, and leave out another one each time, until it boots.

If the box is still under warranty, it is a good idea to contact Lacie.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:18 am 

This nas is out of warranty.

How should i know the nas has build in flash?

My product type is:

5TB LaCie 5big Network 2 EK
Serial Number: 510438F2F57 / 301511EK

This nas was purchased with 5 disks of 2 TB

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:43 am 

I am not an expert in 5big5, but we did some work on it in the other topic in this post :)
Seems a similar situation.

If MIjzelf's suggestion doesn't bring live back in it you might consider the approach we took with Draftmancorp.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:48 am 

it's works :D

The problem was disk3.

Strange that the nas does not indicate that the drive is broken.

Thanks to mijzelf.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:24 am 

Well, normally it does. (Of course, else a 5 disk system would be unmaintainable). I suppose this disk fails in a rare way, generating long timeouts in the firmware instead of a clear 'dead'.

Anyway, when you now plugin a new, empty disk of at least the same size (in sectors, there should be some big sector number (about 4000000000) on the disk.) it should be incorporated in the raid array, maybe after some webinterface action.
Your array is now (partly?) degraded, so if a 2nd disk fails, you'll loose your data. (Unless your array has 2 parity disks. In that case you have still a parity disk left. That can be seen at the total amount of space. If it is about 8 TB (4 * 2) you had only one parity disk. If it's about 6 TB, you had 2 parities. 1 left.

rene3000 wrote:
How should i know the nas has build in flash?

This nas was purchased with 5 disks of 2 TB
It hasn't. The flash is only in a Diskless.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:31 am 

Thanks,

The nas is now "building RAID5".

It was 5 x 1 TB disks.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:44 am 

Ah, you already put in a new disk? Anyway, raid5 has 1 parity disk (or actually the parity is spanned over all disks, but loosing 2 disks will destroy the data)