General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:16 am 

Does anyone have info on the Serial Pinout of the ix4-200d? There is a 10-pin header in the top right quadrant of the motherboard when you have the cover off. No info on what pin is what. I've spent a couple of days now with google trying to get this info with no luck. I've attempted to figure it out myself using a USB Serial TTL board and header cable with no luck.

I've got everything I need to install debian on this box except a working serial console. Any help anyone else could provide on figuring this out would be most welcome.

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:25 pm 

kashmir581 wrote:
I've attempted to figure it out myself using a USB Serial TTL board and header cable with no luck.
You have only searched using that cable? That can be done better.

First switch off the box, and use a multimeter to measure the resistance between all pins and the ground. This will give you a number of pins with a zero resistance, ground pins, a number of pins 50~500 ohm, signal and Vcc, and maybe some pins with an infinite resistance, these are probably not connected.
Then switch the box on, and measure the voltages of all potential signal pins. All pins with a voltage >5V should be ignored (and take care against shortage). A 3.3V pin can be Vcc, or can be signal. A voltage between 0 and 3.3V can be signal.

Ultimately you have an oscilloscope handy, which you use to measure the potential signal pins while powering up. TX should spit a boot log, which can be recognized. But an oscilloscope is an expensive device, so I can imagine you don't have it. In that case you can use a cheap piezo buzzer. They can be found in cheap alarm clocks, watches, ... Image Connect one wire to the ground, and the other to a potential TX. If it starts beeping while booting up, you've found TX.
RX is more complicated, as it can only be detected by offering a serial signal, but is in most cases next to TX.

BTW, of course it's recommended to do this searching without any disk inserted. The disk doesn't like to be powered up and down much.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:04 am 

115200 baud, 3.3V serial convertor.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:26 am 

Thanks, will work on pins as guided by you and post results.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:34 am 

Hi
What's new?
I have the same problem, what should I do after connecting the serial cable?
I want the cloud version, if you can not, throw it away.
I need the functions of the cloud version.