General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 3:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: ix4-200d Help Please!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:17 pm 

Hey all,

Stumbled across this community in my search for help in fixing my NAS. My IX4-200d recently started giving me a few issues.

All started with a message appearing on the NAS telling me a drive has faulted. I ignored this for a month or two until I
went to access the NAS and I could not see any files. Decided to wipe the NAS through a factory reset and then the NAS
attempted to reconstruct itself. Now after reading up on this issue I understand that it's Drive 1 that has Failed (or is likely
to fail according to the software). When trying to reconstruct the NAS stops at 2% and will not go any further. Im
assuming as this is because drive 1 has/ is about to fail and the system is unable to reconstruct from it.

I've come to the conclusion that I need to replace Drive 1 with a new HDD. Will any 1TB Seagate Barracuda work or do I
buy a specific one? I have pulled Drive 1 and it's labeled as a ST31000520AS, I have searched these onling and can only
find similar ones.

Appreciate i've waffled on a bit here but advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Jay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:09 pm 

Hi Jay,

I recommend to search after a 1TB disk with the nearly the same rpm (for the Seagate Baracuda LP 5900 rpm), it should be also possible to use a bigger harddisk, but the ix4-200d without "cloud edition" seems to be limited to 2GB disks.

Hope this is helpful.

felliBerlin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:58 pm 

Thought this might be helpful for someone needing to replace one of their defective drives.

I purchased an Iomega StorCenter ix4-200d with 4 one TB drives already installed, several years ago... Just before the "cloud edition" came out.

About 8 months ago I started getting errors on one of the drives and started looking to replace it. I searched for one of the original drives (ST31000520AS). But they seemed to be rather expensive new and I didn't want to buy a refurbished one.

After researching online, the ST1000VM002 seemed to match all the characteristics of the ST31000520AS and were much cheaper.

Ordered one from Amazon, and when it came in, shut down the StorCenter, inserted the drive and it immediately began rebuilding the drive and data protection.

My StorCenter has been humming along happily ever since... :D

Here is what shows under Settings/Disks:

Disk Size
Disk is operating normally. Disk 4 (ST31000520AS, CC38 ) 932 GB
Disk is operating normally. Disk 3 (ST31000520AS, CC38 ) 932 GB
Disk is operating normally. Disk 2 (ST1000VM002-1CT1, SC23 ) 932 GB
Disk is operating normally. Disk 1 (ST31000520AS, CC38 ) 932 GB
Data Protection:Parity
Available Storage:2.7 TB
Write Caching:Enabled with UPS
External Storage:None Connected