General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:51 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:55 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
Xon/Xoff should be turned off, but that cannot explain your log. Did you connect the GND wire also? And it's not recommended to connect the Vcc wire.

as you said, I tried with Xon/Xoff off, it's still the same thing, and I also changed band rate, but nothing worked..

what it can be? my Ix4 is dead ? the on-board system is definitely broken? save me please !!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:27 pm 

I don't think it's dead. In that case you wouldn't see anything. My best guess is bad wiring/connection. Does each boot give *exactly* the same output?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:06 am 

@qesc
you're sure that the cable features?
You do a test:
jumper pins 2 and 3 and use a terminal program and you have to see what you write or use a test program for the serial type
http://www.mcselec.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=57

loopback

take the test without cable and then only with the serial cable with the jumper wires that will put on the main board rx and tx.

If test is ok you are start to program ix4

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:45 am 

maozip wrote:
@qesc
you're sure that the cable features?
You do a test:
jumper pins 2 and 3 and use a terminal program and you have to see what you write or use a test program for the serial type
http://www.mcselec.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=57

loopback

take the test without cable and then only with the serial cable with the jumper wires that will put on the main board rx and tx.

If test is ok you are start to program ix4

@maozip

Yes I've done the loopback test with this tool and it passed have no problem! So the cable is ok I suppose.

By the way, you told about a JTAG cable, which should be different with a serial cable as the mine! Could you please tell me how many pins on your cable? Koz the mine has only 3 pins ! Thanks

Last edited by Qesc on Sat May 31, 2014 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:07 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
I don't think it's dead. In that case you wouldn't see anything. My best guess is bad wiring/connection. Does each boot give *exactly* the same output?

@Mijzelf

I should be very happy if it is NOT dead !

I made the cable myself, with a serial cable who has only 3 wires in it and those wires are connected to the 2nd 3rd and the 5th(not sure, or another GND pin ) pin in the serial head . I ' ll take a photo and show it to you

So I connect those 3 wires to the 10 pins jumper on the mainboard just like the photo in one of your post in which you teach someone to make a serial cable! This photo is the very only one I can find on internet to show the definition of the 10 pins jumper ! If you can aid me to find the correct definition ( supposed this one is not correct) , I'll appreciate it very much!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:27 am 

Quote:
a serial cable who has only 3 wires in it and those wires are connected to the 2nd 3rd and the 5th(not sure, or another GND pin ) pin in the serial head
Oops! That sounds as a 9 pins sub-d RS232 connector. RS232 is not suitable to connect to embedded devices, like a NAS. You need 3.3V TTL level serial (RS232 is 12V). Something like this.

If you have used an RS232 cable, it is possible that you have fried the RX pin of the SoC.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:12 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
Quote:
a serial cable who has only 3 wires in it and those wires are connected to the 2nd 3rd and the 5th(not sure, or another GND pin ) pin in the serial head
Oops! That sounds as a 9 pins sub-d RS232 connector. RS232 is not suitable to connect to embedded devices, like a NAS. You need 3.3V TTL level serial (RS232 is 12V). Something like this.

If you have used an RS232 cable, it is possible that you have fried the RX pin of the SoC.

Fried!!! You frightened me!!! A lot !!!

Ok what I found on internet, talking about 2 kind of cable could be used for a NAS, one is the serial cable which can show the boot log, and another is JTAG cable which can flash the ROM.. They didn't say the serial cable is not rs232 and it can fry my motherboard!!!!

Please tell me now how can I know if the SoC is fried ? And if it's true, in that case, is my ix4 dead?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:45 pm 

Qesc wrote:
Please tell me now how can I know if the SoC is fried? And if it's true, in that case, is my ix4 dead?
I don't think the whole SoC is fried, as you seem to get data from it. The only way to know if the RX pin is fried, is to connect a TTL level serial cable, and see if the box receives commands.

Assuming the RX pin is fried, it depends on why it doesn't boot if the box is (technically) dead. Without the RX pin, you can't use the bootloader to flash a new kernel/initrd, so you're dependent on what you have. If the current kernel doesn't boot and the RX pin is dead, the box is technically dead. Unless you can get JTAG working, and that is more complex than getting serial working. (More pins, hard to find without hardware documentation)

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:25 pm 

[quote="Mijzelf"][quote="Qesc"]Please tell me now how can I know if the SoC is fried? And if it's true, in that case, is my ix4 dead?[/quote]I don't think the whole SoC is fried, as you seem to get data from it. The only way to know if the RX pin is fried, is to connect a TTL level serial cable, and see if the box receives commands.

Assuming the RX pin is fried, it depends on why it doesn't boot if the box is (technically) dead. Without the RX pin, you can't use the bootloader to flash a new kernel/initrd, so you're dependent on what you have. If the current kernel doesn't boot [i]and[/i] the RX pin is dead, the box is technically dead. Unless you can get JTAG working, and that is more complex than getting serial working. (More pins, hard to find without hardware documentation)[/quote]

Ok here is what happened on my box :
- I got it in a condition that the array was broken, so I connected to it by lenovo software, and formatted the 4 hard disks;
- then the booting of the box was fixed at 75%, I've had no idea that was the reconstruction of the new array, which supposed to be very slow, so I made a bad decision that to flash the firmware;
- I found the guide in the forum, which leads me to the famous interface"USB and ETHERNET" , and I flashed my box with a "Cloud edition" firmware , after that, the box became "rebooting constantly"
;
- then I tried to debrick it by using a system ready hard disk, but not worked, in that case, I want to see the boot log via serial,

In conclusion, I think the bootloader was broken Koz I flashed a no suitable firmware, so if the RX is fried, that will be say my box is dead!
Except you told me the JTAG is still working, and here @maozip said he has succeeded to flash the kernel via JTAG, so maybe I still have same hope!?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:11 pm 

I agree with your conclusion, except that you use the wrong words. The bootloader is fine, but you flashed an incompatible kernel and initramdisk. When your RX is dead, you'll have a hard time to get the box working again.

Quote:
maozip said he has succeeded to flash the kernel via JTAG
I don't think he actually used JTAG. All the logs he posted are serial logs of bootloader actions.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:20 pm 

@mijzelf

I see .. So the only thing I should to do is take a test with TTL, if it does not work , my box is definitely dead...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:45 am 

I used jtag and i connect it to internal nas.
In other post you will see pictures.
I write instruction to up grade in other post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:43 pm 

maozip wrote:
I used jtag and i connect it to internal nas.
In other post you will see pictures.
I write instruction to up grade in other post.

@maozip

which post please?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:31 am 

@maozip: I read the instructions, and looked at your rar file, and I still think it's serial, not JTAG. JTAG has at least 5 wires, TDI, TDO, TCK, TMS and GND, and you don't use PuTTY, but some software which looks like a low-level debugger or EEPROM writer.

BTW, looking at that photo's, it seems you have the white, orange and yellow wire connected to the header, and the red one to something else. What it that red wire connected to?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:48 am 

:oops: I am informed, it is serial connection, i used tx rx gnd , the red wire is vcc for max232

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next