General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:25 pm 

Dear Community,

got a StorCenter IX4-200D from a friend which was not working anymore.
I successfully managed to recover the firmware to 3.2.6.17887 2012-04-17 and am able to login and even ssh is working activated via config file.

The problem now is to get apt-get to work.
I created all the folders and did apt-get update but with errors.

So following this tutorial: http://iomega.nas-central.org/wiki/Hack ... e_Media_CE)
I tried to change the images but when i enter the command:
Code:
dd if=/dev/sda skip=$((16674*8+1)) bs=64 count=$((0x$(dd if=/dev/sda skip=$((16674*128+3)) bs=4 count=1 2>/dev/null|hexdump -ve '/1 "%02x"')/64+1)) | zcat > initrd

I get an error:
Code:
gzip: stdin: not in gzip format

If I try the other method posted here before:
Code:
dd if=/dev/sda skip=$((8192*8+1)) bs=64 count=$((0x$(dd if=/dev/sda skip=$((8192*128+3)) bs=4 count=1 2>/dev/null|hexdump -ve '/1 "%02x"')/64+1)) | zcat > initrd

and get the error message:
Code:
gzip: stdin: not in gzip format

Is there any way activating /dev/loop0 (/mnt/apps) as rw and not read-only?

I already did extract the .tgz file and added some modifications to the common.sh file but I don't know how to pack and install it :-(

Best regards

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:51 am 

On the Home Media CE everything is located on the harddisk, which makes it easy to change things. (Well, not that easy. The directions you are pointing at are about changing the initramfs which is embedded in the kernel). Your IX4-200D has kernel and initramfs in flash memory, which makes adaptation harder and more risky. A fault will brick the box.

What is your goal? If you only want some commandline tools maybe Entware-ng will do?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:52 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
On the Home Media CE everything is located on the harddisk, which makes it easy to change things. (Well, not that easy. The directions you are pointing at are about changing the initramfs which is embedded in the kernel). Your IX4-200D has kernel and initramfs in flash memory, which makes adaptation harder and more risky. A fault will brick the box.

What is your goal? If you only want some commandline tools maybe Entware-ng will do?

I just wanted to install some software and compile some software.
Just installed the entware-ng and was able to install gcc, make and so on.

It's just I am more used to apt-get and those commands.
So there's now way to get the IX4-200D working with apt-get or even install debian?

Best regards
and thanks so far for the help.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:44 pm 

mYreme wrote:
So there's now way to get the IX4-200D working with apt-get or even install debian?
Everything is possible, but sometimes it's hard.

When I remember well there is no easy way to mount the /usr rw. The file which contains the filesystem is readonly itself, and somehow there is a cyclic dependency, which can only be solved by intercepting before the file is loopmounted. Which is exactly the goal of editing the initramfs.
Even if /usr is writeable, it still doesn't help much, as there is only little room in filesystem.

Yet there are loads of possibilities. You can bindmount some directories from the data partitions on directories in /usr. You can edit the initramfs, just as on the Home Media CE. Difference is that you have to read and write the uImage from/to flash.

And of course you can install Debian. Sort of. There is no official Debian installer, and AFAIK your box isn't supported by the vanilla kernel. But you can download the GPL sources from Lenovo, compile your own kernel, and boot it with a Debian rootfs. It's not 'real' Debian, but no one will notice.