Kraun NAS Dongle Gigabit

caius

Kraun NAS Dongle Gigabit

Post by caius » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:35 pm

Hi all,
recently I bought a 'NAS Dongle Gigabit' manifactured from Kraun:

http://www.kraun.it/pages/products/data ... anguage=en

I don't know if this is a rembranded model but I'd want to know if there are thirdy-part firmwares for it since the official one is quite buggy.
Thanks.

P.S.
This is the last official firmware:

http://www.kraun.it/downloads/KR_QE_FW_1_62a.zip

Mijzelf

Re: Kraun NAS Dongle Gigabit

Post by Mijzelf » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:53 pm

I think you have bad luck. The firmware is too small to be Linux, so it's probably some proprietary OS. The firmware starts with the strings:
KERNELWEB
S8183-MRT
RSVD
KERNEL
S8183
So I *think* it's a rebranded MRT box, based on an RDC 8183 SoC. If that is true, I don't think there will be a real different other firmware.

caius

Post by caius » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:29 pm

Thanks for the reply.
It should be this judging from pictures:

http://www.mrt-communications.com/index ... shop&id=34

So, what can be done to improve it?

I found this info:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSDcns11xx

P.S.
Is it risky to flash the firmwares of this into my similar Kraun NAS?
http://www.embeded-systems.net/firmware/

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:49 am

caius wrote:So, what can be done to improve it?
Not much, I'm afraid. When it's a proprietary OS there won't be any custom firmwares, as the sources of the firmware are not available.
Further, seeing the size of the firmware I expect the box to have only 512kB, or maybe 1MB flashrom. That's not enough for a more mature OS like FreeBSD. (I also think the box won't have enough ram, maybe as little as 1 or 2 MB). To run FreeBSD I think you'll need at least 2MB flash and 8MB ram.
BTW, your freebsd link is about a completely different SoC, I think, unless you have more information than I do. (You could open the box, and find out which chips are inside.)
Is it risky to flash the firmwares of this into my similar Kraun NAS?
--- Start of default disclaimers rejecting all responsibility about other peoples hardware ---
<Insert default disclaimers here>
---End of default disclaimers ---

Of course it's always risky, but I *think* you will be safe when the header mentions 'S8183-MRT'. Look at it with a hex viewer.

caius

Post by caius » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:34 am

Ok, thanks again.
I have been led astray from these discussions:

http://storlinkdevices.altervista.org/f ... f=22&t=933

http://tinyhack.com/2010/07/06/cns21xx-port-completed/

Anyay I'll open it and take some hi-res pictures of the hardware.Stay tuned.

EDIT:
These is the heart of this device.It

As you can see from the pictures, this device is composed of two boards,one of them(the upper that plugs into the lower board) is a piggyback board that contains the main CPU (a CAVIUM CNS-2183 covered by a heatsink) and the RAM (NANYA NT5DS16M16DS-5T 16MB)

Now, according to the link in my previous post, someone has ported FreeBSD to a similar device that uses ARM Cavium Econa CNS2132.So, I think this ia valid also for mine since it uses a CPU from same family.

caius

Post by caius » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:24 pm

caius wrote:Ok, thanks again.
I have been led astray from these discussions:

http://storlinkdevices.altervista.org/f ... f=22&t=933

http://tinyhack.com/2010/07/06/cns21xx-port-completed/

Anyway I'll open it and take some hi-res pictures of the hardware.Stay tuned.

EDIT:
These is the heart of this device.It

As you can see from the pictures, this device is composed of two boards,one of them(the upper that plugs into the lower board) is a piggyback board that contains the main CPU (a CAVIUM CNS-2183 covered by a heatsink) and the RAM (NANYA NT5DS16M16DS-5T 16MB)

Now, according to the link in my previous post, someone has ported FreeBSD to a similar device that uses ARM Cavium Econa CNS2132.So, I think this ia valid also for mine since it uses a CPU from same family.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:38 pm

Actually it's 256Mbit = 32MB ram. Is there no flash on board?
Looking at the photo's I think J1 might be a serial port, and J2 JTAG? What kind of power supply does it have? 5V or 12V? When 12V the remaining heatsink might cover a power regulator for the USB.
You could be right. You could connect a serial port (TTL!), to see if the box has a usable bootloader.

caius

Post by caius » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:07 pm

Mijzelf wrote: Actually it's 256Mbit = 32MB ram. Is there no flash on board?
Looking at the photo's I think J1 might be a serial port, and J2 JTAG? What kind of power supply does it have? 5V or 12V? When 12V the remaining heatsink might cover a power regulator for the USB.
It has a 5V power supply.I thought that J1 was th JTAG port but maybe I'm wrong.

Mijzelf wrote: You could be right. You could connect a serial port (TTL!), to see if the box has a usable bootloader.
Ok,I'll do it for sure.But what kind of cable i have to built?Since it has to be TTL, so I presume I have to use a MAX232 IC
Besides, what are the features of Freebsd or better, what can I do with it used into my NAS?

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:05 pm

Mijzelf wrote:But what kind of cable i have to built?
I use an FTDI cable. Cheaper clones can be found on ebay. Do you have a multimeter? If J1 is a serial port, I expect one ground, one 3.3V, and at least 2 indeterminable. When using an usb cable, you only have to connect ground, rx and tx. When using an rs232 to TTL cable maybe you also have to connect 3.3V, as power supply for the convertor chip.
Besides, what are the features of Freebsd or better, what can I do with it used into my NAS?
Anything. Provided that you won't be forced to flash a completely stripped kernel due to lack of flash, you'll have a Unix box, only limited by memory and cpu power. (And of course you could create swapspace to increase the amount of memory).
A box like this could run: a light webserver, ftp, tftp, a dhcp server, dns server, dlna server, samba, maybe a mail server, torrent client, usenet downloader, ...
Maybe not all on the same time, due to memory limits.

caius

Post by caius » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:41 pm

Mijzelf wrote:I use an FTDI cable. Cheaper clones can be found on ebay. Do you have a multimeter? If J1 is a serial port, I expect one ground, one 3.3V, and at least 2 indeterminable. When using an usb cable, you only have to connect ground, rx and tx. When using an rs232 to TTL cable maybe you also have to connect 3.3V, as power supply for the convertor chip.
Yes, I have a multimeter and I will check later.Anyway, I'm into electronics since many years, I can build the cable myself like I made for programming the Coolrunner of my XBOX360.I have a USB to serial(RS232) cable based on PL2303, but I don't think its useful in my case.

Mijzelf wrote:Besides, what are the features of Freebsd or better, what can I do with it used into my NAS?
Anything. Provided that you won't be forced to flash a completely stripped kernel due to lack of flash, you'll have a Unix box, only limited by memory and cpu power. (And of course you could create swapspace to increase the amount of memory).
A box like this could run: a light webserver, ftp, tftp, a dhcp server, dns server, dlna server, samba, maybe a mail server, torrent client, usenet downloader, ...
Maybe not all on the same time, due to memory limits.[/quote]

Is it possbile to view a demo of Freebsd?My NAS dongle works pretty well, it has a torrent client as well , the only problem is that print server recognizes my Canon iP2600 printer only when you configure it for the first time, when you power-off the pc then you have to do the printer configuration again (add the printer, create the TCP port, etc..).Besides, it lacks an Emule client, for example.It would be cool to add it.

P.S.
I didn't say that my dongle lacks a flash IC, maybe it's covered and hidden by the heatsink (see the first picture)

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:58 pm

caius wrote:Is it possbile to view a demo of Freebsd?
I think you don't get it. Freebsd is 'just' a kernel, you'll still need a userland, which can be located on a connected disk. It's mainly the userland which defines the functionality. My experience with Freebsd is nil, but I suppose it´s not different as with Linux. The same kernel can be used for a 2048 cpu super computer, a desktop, or for a simple router.

Having said that, yes you can view a demo. Just download and boot one of the BSD live CD's.
I didn't say that my dongle lacks a flash IC, maybe it's covered and hidden by the heatsink (see the first picture)
It certainly has flash. Googling on "CNS2183 flash" shows several boxes comparable with yours, which are spec'd to have 1MB flash. I hope that's enough for your kernel.

caius

Post by caius » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:09 pm

OK, thanks for you help.So, what is your advice , to give a try with FreeBSD or continue with the original firmware?By the way I succesfully flashed a NAS-G101b firwware into my Kraun NAS Gigabit Dongle, now the print server works but the FTP not anymore..:)

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:07 am

Depends. If you like hacking that little box, and learn something from it, go ahead. Be prepared that it will be a project of months, and you may end up with a brick. (A small one).
But if you just need a reliable print server, stick with what you have. If you need a reliable print server *and* an FTP server, you could Google for "CNS2183 FTP". I found several comparable boxes, and your experience shows that the firmware is not complete identical. You might find one that has it all.