General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:23 pm 

Hi! I'm a newcomer on here, but I think somebody will hopefully have an answer to this one.....

I have several LG N1T3s and (long story...) but have deleted some files from one of them in error and have no backup of these particular files. I can access the LG N1T3s across the network via several MAC machines or a dual boot Laptop which has Windows XP / Ubuntu dual boot. I haven't added any files to this particular LG N1T3 since the deletion of the others and won't do, until I have got to the bottom of this :shock:

I was thinking that there maybe some software (possibly Linux or Debian based?) that I could run and recover these files or is that far too hopeful? Also, I'd really need to know how to do it if it involves terminal work or Linux/ Debian knowledge...

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:56 pm 

When the files are not already overwritten, it might be possible to restore them. That can be done in two ways[list][*]Some undelete tool (like extundelete) which uses filesystem information to recover the file. To do so, the filesystem still should have some information about that file. That is not true for all types of filesystems/all situations
[*]Some low-level recovery tool (like PhotoRec). To do so, the file must have a recognizable header, and should be not fragmented. So this doesn't work on flat text, or raw binary files. And you'll probably loose the metadata (filename, path, timestamp) as it's not part of the file itself.

Switch off that NAS, if you didn't already, get the disk out and connect it to a Linux system. (Debian is also Linux). Install the tools, and just have a try. As long as you don't write to that disk, you won't worsen the situation.