Can I use a NAS for this?

Everything that does not fit anywhere else
trillian

Can I use a NAS for this?

Post by trillian » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:28 pm

This is probably a silly question but I am new to the whole NAS concept, although it seems simple enough in principle.

My question is; Can I use a NAS to share the data and bin files in Microsoft Access on my local windows network?

Right now we have a small network at the office with 5 workstations that all share a single data and bin file for MS Access which is currently housed on a RAID setup on a separate computer running windows XP.

It would seem to me that all that is required is a hard drive available to the network with the MS Access files, but I don't know if there's more to it than that. If possible I'd like to replace the computer that is currently functioning as a 'server' for the MS Access data with a NAS if possible.

If so, would just a simple cheap unit do the job or would the NAS have to be running some kind of server OS?

Simplexion

Re: Can I use a NAS for this?

Post by Simplexion » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:23 am

Don't see why it wouldn't work with a NAS running a CIFS share.

trillian

Re: Can I use a NAS for this?

Post by trillian » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:01 pm

Simplexion wrote:Don't see why it wouldn't work with a NAS running a CIFS share.
Yeah after thinking about it a bit, I don't think it needs to do anything other than provide access to the .data and .bin files. Right now the computer that is acting as a 'server' is really just functioning as an interface between the drives and the network. Windows is running on the C drive and a separate pair of drives houses the MS Access .data and .bin files, so I think really the rest of the computer or even what OS it's running, whether Access is installed etc. is irrelevant.

I think just a very simple NAS enclosure should do the job.