General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:30 pm 

Dear

Can someone help me with the following:

I alrady manages to search for information about ethernetcable in general.

I want to make my own gigbit cable, but after reading a bunch of things, I'm not sure anymore.

I need UTP cable (unshielded) as it is for home use. Cat 5e is the gigabit version, so that is What I need.

Gigabit cable:

By now, I know that there are fake cables that contain:

CCA – Copper Cladded Aluminium
CCS – Copper Cladded Steel (or CCF With the F of Ferro)

So I thinkg the following cable is real gigabit cable, it contains :

OFC - Oxygen Free Copper

Where to look for on the cable of box or description online (webshop) If I want to be sure it's real ethernetcable according to the TIA/EIA 568-B 2-10 (athough I'm not sure what this number mean: does it say something about the qwality of the cable (100% copper, almost then as the copper containts some Oxygen, but very low %) or does it only tells how the little cables have to be organized?

and for home use I will use stranded cable. But I read somewhere that stranded cable does not make that good connection with the RJ45 connector. on the other hand stug cable is used if you would install the cable inside the wall or something like that. But I prefer that the cable is not that stug.

Is the connection of stranded cable really that weak? or does it depens on how I install it (correct or not)? Stranded or stug for home use, loose cable?

RJ45 connectors:

I understood that for gigabit cable I need to use the appropriate (gigabit) connector. I found something about LSZH jacket, is this a gigabit connector or a stug connector or stranded connector (for stranded cable)?

How do I know if I have the correct one? I think there is a difference connector for stranded cable or for stug cable.

How can I see that?

and is there really a difference in gigabit connectors and the usual RJ45 connector?

Crimptool

Crimping Tool Professional for 4/2,4/4, 6/4, 6/6, 8/8 P/C

What do these numbers mean? If I could use this crimping tool for all the kinds of RJ45 connectors, it would be a good instrument to buy.
But I'm not familiar with these numbers.