General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:45 pm 

Hi all, after upgrading to version DSM 3.2-1981 I had frequent disconnection problems from the network and also extracting files from compressed archives (rar) and copying them on the attached USB hard drives were not successful.
Because of these problems I have tried to downgrade the firmware to restore the previous version of the DSM (3.2-1979).
To downgrade the firmware I followed the instructions indicated at the following url:
http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... s_firmware

I followed the first three steps listed on that page, but at the end of the procedure my USB Station 2 didn't work anymore and the three leds continued to blink without interruption.
The device is no longer detected on the network, even by the Synology Assistant and I can no longer manage it through the web interface. It's no longer accessible even via ssh.

I've tried to connect a USB TTL serial cable, that I bought on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/JP1-2-JP1-3-USB ... 4ad23df444), to a 2x3 JP1 connector on the mainboard, but it doesn't seem to work, because I didn't receive any signal from the device neither with Hyperterminal nor with PuTTY. There is another 2x10 female connector next the JP1 on the mainboard, but I don't know what it is.

Is there anyone who can explain to me how it is possible to unbrick the Synology USB 2 Station via serial port or any other method?

Thank you very much

Last edited by Lije on Sun May 25, 2014 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:53 pm 

Do you have any documentation which points to that 2x3 pins as a serial port?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:40 pm 

Sorry for the delay in my reply Mijzelf, I've been very busy with work. No, I have no documentation or specific about the mainboard of my USB Station 2, so I'm not sure about it. I really don't know if and which of the two connectors is a serial one. I only supposed it was the 2x3 pin connector and I tried to connect a serial cable, but without luck. Thanks for your reply

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:49 pm 

When reading the superlatives of the Syno Fan Boys (Great hardware, great software, great community. No really, do not even consider another brand!) it's a bit disappointing to see how badly the hardware is actually documented.

Yet I found this, where indeed a 6 pin serial interface on a Syno is documented. So you might be on the right way.

Have you checked if your TTL serial converter works? If you short the RX and TX, you should have an echo in your terminal emulator.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:22 pm 

Sorry for my delay Mijzelf, I've been abroad for work. Thank you very much for the link, I'll give a look. I didn't check if my TTL serial converter works as you suggest. I'll try to short the RX and TX and I'll let you know. This is the first time I have to deal with a serial connection and my only source of knowledge is what I find on the Internet. However, the net (and even Synology) seems to ignore the usb station 2, as you rightly said. I'll read and try, then I'll tell you. Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:52 pm 

Hi Mijzelf, I've tried to short pin 4 (RX) and pin 6 (TX), but I only get some "0" on the terminal. I also tried to reconnect the mainboard to the serial cable, but I get a sequence like this: "[00][00][00][00][00][00][00][00][00][00][00][00]À[00]À[00]À[00][00][00]À[00]À[00]À[00][00]". I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but the situation seems quite tragic... :?

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:37 am 

Pin 4 and 6? From your TTL serial convertor? What kind of convertor is that? For a normal serial port RX&TX are pin 2&3. My USB TTL serial device doesn't have pins, only colored wires.

Anyway, your USB station seems to have output, which is good. The garbage might be caused by a wrong baudrate.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:48 am 

My TTL serial convertor is generally used to reprogram the remote controls and the pin scheme should be this:

1 - (empty)
2 - reset
3 - ground
4 - Rx
5 - (empty)
6 - Tx

as shown by this image:

https://i.imgur.com/DIra9Cm.jpg

I've found the reccomended baudrate should be 115200, even if I tried to change it to other values, but with no luck.

However, given my inexperience, I'm not entirely sure I'm using the right tools or the correct procedure.

If you have any suggestions for me, go ahead. I would be grateful :)

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:59 am 

P.S. This is an image of my TTL serial cable:

https://i.imgur.com/uhs53uV.jpg

and this is the header with the pinout:

https://i.imgur.com/q87wn6r.jpg

and, why not, this is a high resolution image of the mainboard:

https://i.imgur.com/y654DlG.jpg

Bye

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:24 am 

Lije wrote:
to reprogram the remote controls <snip> as shown by this image:
Remote controls? And your image shows an DS107e?
Quote:
I'm not entirely sure I'm using the right tools
At this level any serial terminal emulator should do. For a Windows system that could be PuTTY.
It's generally not recommended to connect the Vcc pin. Gnd,TX and RX should do.

The RX/TX shotcut test should just work, unless you configured hardware handshake. In that case you should see nothing. (There is no ClearToSend signal, so the port won't output anything, and so there is no input either). The handshake should be 'none'.

Quote:
this is a high resolution image of the mainboard:
It's *almost* good enough. I can see 2 PCB traces running from the SoC to the 6 pin header, but I can't see where they connect. Almost for sure this are the RX and TX. You can check if that matches your pin scheme.