General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Using NAS as a USB drive
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:24 pm 

My TV uses a USB disk drive for recording TV programmes. Is there any way
I can use some storage on a NAS drive on the network in place of buying a separate USB drive? I guess this would need something that plugs into the USB port on the TV and also plugs into the Ethernet, and emulates a USB drive using storage on the NAS. Does anything like this exist? Or could I create it using a Raspberry Pi or similar?

Thanks - Rowan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:01 pm 

Probably not. There is a fundamental difference between a NAS and a DAS. (and an USB disk is a DAS).
A NAS serves files. The client computer does not need to know which filesystem the server uses internally (fortunately. The filesystems used be 99% of the NASses are not supported by Windows PC's).
A DAS only serves a large number of sectors. It's up to the client to organize that in a filesystem. And, important, the client of a DAS is the only one accessing these sectors.
For this reason a NAS cannot share the same data both over network and USB. If the USB client would change anything, the NAS wouldn't know that, and vice versa. The filesystem would soon crash.

The closest solution I know of is the Lacie Network Space 2. This NAS can offer a part of it's storage via USB. But as soon as you connect the USB cable, you cannot access the data via network. You'll have to pull the cable to get network access again.
Well, if you always have to pull the cable, you could as well use an external disk connected to your NAS.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:04 pm 

Thank you for your reply. What you say makes sense. But why don't the TV manufacturers add a feature to allow the TV to record and replay programmes to a NAS drive? Since the TV must now be connected to a network to provide SmartTV features, it seems obvious (to me) that the best place to store programs is on a NAS in a cupboard somewhere, not on a separate drive which must be placed somewhere near the TV in your living room? I store my music on the NAS, why not my TV programmes?

My new TV is a Samsung UE40H6700ST.

Thanks - Rowan