General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Looking for a new NAS
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:19 pm 

Hi,

I'm new on this site! I'm not a expert user (bricking is too much for me) I have a Lacie Networkspace 2 (2TB) that stopped working... I've done a reset and it started working again but when I moved my things again to the Openshare file it finally crashed with the hdd clicking and not working even out of the Lacie case and connected to the pc...

Now I'm looking for a new 1-bay NAS. I want something similar to those I had but I'll take the chance to go for 3TB - 4TB.

I was looking for the WD (Book Live 3TB and My cloud 3/4TB models) which doesn't have some of my musts (torrent client and linux/ubuntu compatibility).

Seagate Central 3/4TB has the same lacks of the WD options.

Buffalo Linkstation 210 or 410 have torrent client but not the Linux/Ubuntu compatibility.

My real options having both of my musts are:

- Lacie Cloudbox 4tb. I'm afraid that being such similar to Networkspace 2 could have the same problem in some time.

- Lacie d2 network 3tb. It's a good option for me the problem is that being 3TB is at the price of other brands 4tb options, it's justifdicated?

- Lennovo Iomega EZ Media & Backup 3tb. I like it but i'll prefer a 4TB.

And my favorite nowaday

- Seagate Business Storage 1-bay 4tb. I think it's the one I was looking for... and I could find it at 199€ in Worten.

Do you think considering my uses (video storage and sharing, photo storage and My documents backup) it's a good option?? Any other recommendation??

Thanks a lot guys!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:47 pm 

raged wrote:
my musts (torrent client and linux/ubuntu compatibility).
What do you mean by linux/ubuntu compatibility?

Quote:
- Lacie Cloudbox 4tb. I'm afraid that being such similar to Networkspace 2 could have the same problem in some time.
Your disk died. Can happen (will happen) in any nas.

Quote:
- Lacie d2 network 3tb. It's a good option for me the problem is that being 3TB is at the price of other brands 4tb options, it's justifdicated?
The D2 has a very nice casing. High quality aluminum. Good heat drain.

Quote:
Any other recommendation??
Why not put a new disk in your Networkspace? Is it a 'classic' or a 'lite'? A 'classic' won't (without some severe hacking) not support >2TB disks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:28 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
What do you mean by linux/ubuntu compatibility?

Being easy administrated from a Ubunto SO... Being easily mounted or with the brand software.

Mijzelf wrote:
Your disk died. Can happen (will happen) in any nas.
The D2 has a very nice casing. High quality aluminum. Good heat drain.

Do you mean Lacie are better options??

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:48 am 

No. I'm only saying that your reason to reject the cloudbox is disputable. And I'm telling the main difference between a D2 and a Networkspace2/Cloudbox. It's up to you to decide if that is worth the price difference.

Actually I have no opinion on the relative quality of these boxes, as I have no experience with most of them. Who has? I have experience with the Lacie Networkspace, the Networkspace 2, the 2Big 2, and the Edmini V2. The latter 2 have a housing comparable with the D2. The 2Big 2 died last week, after an uptime of 3 years. (Literally. It was in my basement serving, and I hadn't looked at it for 3 years, until it disappeared from my network. The NAS is dead, not the disks). The others still work.

I have worked with some Iomega boxes, but not the EzMedia.

Quote:
Being easy administrated from a Ubunto SO... Being easily mounted or with the brand software.
All NASses I know are administrated through a webinterface, and do Samba. Some of them also do NFS.
Most NASses come with some 'easy nas finder' software, but I never used that. Connect the NAS, ask your dhcp server which IP it assigned, and access the webinterface. That's it.