General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Iomega ix4-200r
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:41 pm 

Hello. I just purchased the Iomega ix4-200r and literally just turned it on and ran through setup yesterday. I am trying to link into Active Directory. I am apparently not doing something correctly though as I can create an initial folder, but cannot assign any permissions and therefore a domain user does not have access to the folder.

The GUI with this setup seems pretty straightforward but lacking some info. I also noticed my Domain User list does not populate and read that may not happen until they access the device. But, how am I supposed to assign permissions to folders either via the web interface or via Explorer using NTFS or assign user permissions if this never populates?

What am I missing? This is being used in a business environment. I went with this device because of price point, size and I had more than one external vendor recommend this.

Thoughts? Without AD security/manageability this box is useless to me. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Iomega ix4-200r
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:25 pm 

I know that this is an old thread,but I had the same issue with a px12-400 and wanted to share my experience.

I was also surprised by the software on this device. At the size and price point, I would expect to have more control over the underlying OS from the GUI, and much better control through the CLI, instead of having a Facebook app.

I like the hardware, but the software sucks.

Anyway,
If you have managed to join the domain and import at least one administrative user into the NAS, you should be able to connect to the share via Windows explorer.
Make sure the imported AD users had full read/write access, and check the box that allows users to change permissions.
Use the credentials of the imported AD user to connect to the share and change the "NTFS" permissions.

There seemed to be a bit of a delay in the NAS accepting the permissions, as I did not see them right away when I made a change and then went back in. When I came back a minute or two later, the changes were applied and I could assign permissions to my AD users.

I hope this helps someone.