General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:22 pm 

Hi Mijzelf

Sorry that I could not respond quicker. Just received it yesterday. Following your steps though sda7,8 (sudo mount -o ro -t ext3 /dev/sda7 /tmp/mountpoint) and it respond as (special device /dev/sda7 does not exist)
Please check my attachment.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:25 pm 

please see attachments

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:07 pm 

Apparently Ubuntu automounted /dev/sdb7, and maybe also sdb8. You can execute
Code:
cat /proc/mounts
to see where it's mounted. Now just enter the Ubuntu-created mountpoint, and execute the tar command.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:53 pm 

I just try to do it again but same problem. Follow your step it seems not mounted. Please advise and picture attached.

Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:44 pm 

You made a typo in the last listing, '/tmp/mounpoint should be /tmp/mountpoint. But that has nothing to do with the strange problem of sdb7, of course.

I wonder if Ubuntu assembled the raid array. Can you do a 'cat /proc/mdstat' ?

BTW, if you succeed in mounting /dev/sdb8, and tarring the files, then you could just dump the whole sdb7 partition, it's not that big. I can mount the dump and get the files out
Code:
dd if=/dev/sdb7 | gzip >/tmp/sda7.gz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:31 pm 

Hi it is problem still... I don't know I have no clue with Ubuntu... just doing blind here. Anyway I just back them up manually as shown but sda8 is big. Any suggestion?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:22 am 

There is the answer. Ubuntu assembled the raidarrays. You can mount sdb7 as md126, and sdb8 as md124. Maybe
Code:
mount -o ro -t ext3 /dev/md124 /tmp/mountpoint
But it's also possible that the md device nodes are in a subdirectory, /dev/md/ or something like that.

When you don't mind uploading that 100MB dump, that would also work. I've got room enough. Actually I don't know if the compressed filetree will be much smaller. The 2big2 sda8 compressed filetree is also 100MB.

BTW, you still haven't told if the D2-2 partition restore worked for you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:35 am 

Thanks for ur response. I said last time I bought new power adaptor and it was working straight and given it to my family already. I don't have a free bigger drive to try if it works.
I wonder there has been load of people having problem with D2N2 but no one has ever responded with successfully restoration?
About this 5bigN2 it is working condition default raid 5. I think I will keep it for myself, it is 5Tb and I am reading that you could put any drives that are same size or bigger then they will rebuild itself. I keep looking to buy cheap 2 *WD Green 3Tb on eBay to try it later mean while I just want to give this backup partitions to forum. Hope that helps someone.
I have followed some of your step to compress sda6, sda7 and 8 already please send me url for upload hope they are ok. I am pleased if all D2N2 and this 5bigN2 backups works for somebody that needed.
I very much appreciate your supports and guiding me in Ubuntu.

All the best
G

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:51 pm 

nadum35 wrote:
I said last time I bought new power adaptor and it was working straight and given it to my family already.
Ah sorry, I misunderstood you.
Quote:
I wonder there has been load of people having problem with D2N2 but no one has ever responded with successfully restoration?
Unfortunately usually there is very little respons when everything works fine. When it doesn't work people ask for help in the forum. There is nothing in the forum, so you could conclude that everything works perfectly.
Quote:
please send me url for upload hope they are ok.
I pm'ed you

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:12 pm 

I received your dumps. Thanks for that. I analyzed them, and now I have a pressing question: Are you sure this box was brand-new, and never booted before from this disk? The reason for this question is that on my 2Big2 parititions there is a marker LaCieFirstBootLaCie starting at byte 1536 of the disk, to indicate it's a new disk. After the first boot this is overwritten by net2big_v2.
Your disk has a GPT partition table, which means byte 1536 is in use by the GPT. So the marker is not there. Instead I found a string net5big_v2 at byte 0. Of course this could be the replacement marker, but in this case I would suppose the disk not to be brand-new.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:24 pm 

Some more info: I extracted the initramfs from the kernel, and found that the firstboot signature is indeed starting on byte 0 instead of byte 1536. Actually the initramfs can do both. But shockingly the choice is not made on base of the partition table (MBR or GPT), but on base of if the bootloader supports GPT. This is determined by the commandline. If it contains a 'cap=gpt,lba48' the script will look at byte 0, else it will look at byte 1536.

This means that my current 2Big2 partitions will fail on a GPT supporting newer box. But fortunately it seems an extra signature on byte 0 won't hurt, so I can just add it.

Another surprising thing is that the kernel is 2.6.22.18. All newer Lacie V2 firmwares have a 2.6.31 kernel. Your box has a GPT supporting bootloader, so I expect it to be relatively new, and yet it has an old kernel.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:38 pm 

Thank you very much for the advice Mijzelf, I connected the disk to a PC Ubuntu and recovered the data that I could not read.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:41 am 

Hi everyone,

My LaCie 5Big Network 2 of 10 TB doesn´t work properly, the Dashboard web page don´t load, using the LaCie Network Assistant can´t access to the volumes or the file explorer.

my current version software is 1.2.5, I have been tried to update using the version 5bignetwork2_2.2.9.3.capsule (the process don´t make changes), the recovery mode of Network Assitant even solve the problem.

I´ve been reseted the 5Big Network 2 (http://knowledge.lacie.com/articles/en_ ... cale=en-as), but still not working, i´m not interested in recovery the information.

someone who can help me to reactivate the device, i´ll very preciate the help
pd: see attachments
Reggards