General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:54 pm 

So,

I picked a 5big 5TB out of e-waste a few weeks ago, and it had no drives in it (It is not a diskless model)

I've followed the instructions but I still cannot get it to boot or be useful.

Does anyone have a full disk image of a clean drive that I can write out to the drives?

Any help is appreciated.

I can provide a drop location too and I will host the file.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:23 pm 

Which instructions?

It's hard to get a 5big2 running with fresh disks. As far as I remember no-one did it yet. But here you can find info about an alternate firmware.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:53 pm 

The point is that I don't want to use an alternative firmware.

I've tried your instructions and I can get the unit to the blinking blue light stage, but no further.

I used the .tar files in your uploads directory, but the unit just doesn't seem to want to boot like that.

do I need to have the partition scheme copied on each of the drives or can I setup the first drive and boot it?

And hard or difficult does not mean impossible, :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:54 pm 

The instructions for the 2big, and the content of the 5big.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:16 pm 

I guess you created the raid arrays with 5 devices instead of 2?

There are 2 approaches. The 'new disk' approach, and the 'used disk' approach. The 'new disk' approach means you put in 5 disks with identical contents, and the famous 'LacieNewDiskLacie' mark somewhere. I *think* this is the way the disks are prepared in factory.
The kernel contains an initrd, which detects the mark, and creates a new raid array for the data partition, and writes the GUID to an eeprom, on first boot.
Don't know how if it could also work with less disks. On my 2Big2 the method only worked with 2 disks. On a 5Big1 the script in initrd simply waits forever until it sees at least 4 disks. I don't know if it continues with 4 disks.

The 'used disk' approach is to use disks (or copies of it) from another box. The box will refuse to boot, because the GUID doesn't fit, but it will drop a shell on the serial port, which you can use to either write the current GUID to the eeprom, or change the raid GUID to the eeprom value. (Actually when I remember well there are 3 GUIDs checked and stored on the 2Big2, the data partitions sdx2, the overlay, sdx9 and a third one. We have the rootfs, bootfs and swap which all have their own raid array. The GUIDs should all fit, else the box doesn't boot)

To make it more complicated the 'new disk' mark can be written to the start of sector 4, or the start of sector 1, depending on the bootloader. If the bootloader supports GPT, the mark is searched in sector1, and if it doesn't, it's searched in sector 4.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:47 pm 

so, all drives have to be identical?

looks like I'll be bringing out my Linux machine tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:34 pm 

Was there ever an ending to this? How did you get it to work?