General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:04 pm 

So I tried this and it went horribly. I made a post asking for help recovering the device (don't care about the data) at plugout and didn't want to duplicate it here, but I noticed some people have the same usernames on both and might not visit both forums still:
http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2210

I really need to get this thing working again, ideally with the new 4TB drives but even getting it working with the 2TB ones again would be much better than it is now!

OLD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I planned to upgrade a client's LaCie 5Big Network2 from 2TB to 4TB drives (picked from LaCie's compatibility list) and didn't realize that the RAID BIOS/OS is on the drives and pulling them kills the NAS which is shocking and makes no sense to me. It's unlike any RAID card I've seen before.. I haven't changed the NAS yet and it's still working fine on it's 2TB drives but the client already ordered the new drives and I REALLY need to find a way to make this work still. I had seen here someone said they upgraded from 5TB to 10TB: http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=651.

So I've searched around here a bit and seen that some people are copying the partition tables to new drives to bring the OS in with them but the instructions have been for different LaCie devices than the 5big Net2 so I don't know if they'd work.

As the NAS is still working, could I just follow the steps in the thread above or replace via rebuilds one 2TB drive at a time with the 4TB ones until they're all replaced, then just redo the array via the web interface?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:10 pm 

I tried the upgrade and it went terrible. Changed first post content accordingly.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:52 pm 

I replied to your post on plugout.net