General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:09 pm 

This is a friends NAS. Appears to be the model where the drives came pre-installed. One of the drives was red and even after I powered down, which took a real long time and came back up it was still red. I then went into the config to rebuild the array. I also tried copying the data off the NAS onto a USB drive through another machine. The NAS itself would fail when I tried to copy direct via the attached USB. Was on older firmware so wasn't sure that was the issue. Well after a week and a half, the data did not fully copy. I was having trouble logging in via the web browser and when I power off it did not power down even after an hr. Thus, we pulled the power. I also tried changing the one disk that was bad. Well it came up and all lights were blue. Made a buzzing type noise when the last disk was blinking but now no access at all from the IP address that was originally assigned. Thus can't seem to get into this at all. UGH. I tried putting the old disk back but same deal. Not sure how messed up this is. The data never fully copied off so really need to try and see if I can get anything off.

Any guidance is appreciated. I am not a linux guy. I have Ubuntu, but is running on my mac on VM. Only installed it to use a data restoration software to get stuff of a failed mac drive years ago. So don;t know much about it either but if the software helps I can follow step by step instructions to attempt whatever I need to. So need a little hand holding

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:47 am 

You could try to use the fvdw-sl standalone kernel. It is available on http://plugout.net
It runs fully from RAM and allows you to examine the disk and raid array. Many topics are there if people with similar problems. However this kernel must be uploaded to the nas via the program fvdw-sl console which runs under windows.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:34 pm 

fvdw wrote:
You could try to use the fvdw-sl standalone kernel. It is available on http://plugout.net
It runs fully from RAM and allows you to examine the disk and raid array. Many topics are there if people with similar problems. However this kernel must be uploaded to the nas via the program fvdw-sl console which runs under windows.

The issue is that I would need to be able to access the NAS through the lan1 port. However the IP address is no longer responding so no way I can go that route. I read another user who had a similar issue.

I downloaded the rescuecd and have my bootable USB drive. I have a bunch ofUSB to data adapters for the drives. Of course I have zero linux experience. So any help in that regard of how to start to tackle this process and see if he raid5 array is still viable would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:04 am 

Quote:
The issue is that I would need to be able to access the NAS through the lan1 port. However the IP address is no longer responding so no way I can go that route. I read another user who had a similar issue.

No thats not true, the nas doesn't need to have an ip. The fvdw-sl console sends a signal to the bootloader to interrupt boot and let the boot loader upload the standalone kernel and start it. This standalone kernel activates your lan port and has a built in telnet server that lets you talk to it.
The standalone kernel runs from RAM and doesn't need anything from the disks or firmware from lacie to run, that is the beauty of the the standalone kernel, it lets you look inside your nas to study the problem with the disks
Of course the lan port must not be defective. ;) But very likely this will not be the case. The interface is no working because the lacie firmware failed to load and as result the NIC is not activated.
If the standalone kernel is helpfull can be checked by trying it, no harm will be done to the disks, it doesn't affect the content of the disks unless you give some wrong commands like erase disk.