Hopefully someone is still out there and can help!

BlueMetal

Hopefully someone is still out there and can help!

Post by BlueMetal » Thu May 25, 2017 2:22 pm

Hi,

Not sure if this forum is still alive :(

I got my hands on a second hand Big5 Network 2. Loaded with Samsung 5 x 2TB drives

Powered on the unit only recognized 4 of the drives. The missing drive appeared as 'Empty'

I set it up in Raid 5

So, not knowing what I was doing I took the drive out to try to get it to work on my PC. It still doesn't appear in disk management (maybe it doesn't appear in windows?)
Not sure if the drive is dead, or it's a Linux thing

So, I grabbed another 2TB drive (this was a WD drive). Formatted it in windows and put it into the NAS. (I'm guessing formatting it was the wrong thing to do).
Anyway, it appeared in the NAS as 'New' and asked if I would like to add it to the Raid. I said yes...

Problem is when I log into the Dashboard it won't let me go into the menu. It's just a blank page saying
"Please be patient while the system stops and restarts the services during the RAID modification"

That's ok, but it's now been a whole week!

Any ideas?
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mijzelf

Re: Hopefully someone is still out there and can help!

Post by Mijzelf » Fri May 26, 2017 6:23 am

BlueMetal wrote:I took the drive out to try to get it to work on my PC. It still doesn't appear in disk management (maybe it doesn't appear in windows?)
If both the NAS and a Windows computer don't see the disk, it's dead.
So, I grabbed another 2TB drive (this was a WD drive). Formatted it in windows and put it into the NAS. (I'm guessing formatting it was the wrong thing to do).
Formatting was not necessary, but it's no problem either. By adding the disk to the raid array it's formatted anyway.
"Please be patient while the system stops and restarts the services during the RAID modification"

That's ok, but it's now been a whole week!
It should only take a few minutes. I think you'd better power cycle the box.

BlueMetal

Re: Hopefully someone is still out there and can help!

Post by BlueMetal » Sun May 28, 2017 7:58 am

Thankyou! Seems to be working so far!

It's busy creating the raid this time with a progress bar :)