First Bad Experience With 10 TB 5Big Network 2...

cruisefx

First Bad Experience With 10 TB 5Big Network 2...

Post by cruisefx » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:36 am

So, first thing I did was upgrade the firmware to 1.2.8 as per what was on the website. Ok so far.

I wanted my box running RAID6. This is where we begin to have problems.

It was currently at RAID5. I pulled down the menu to RAID6 and selected "Change". All of a sudden the first three drives show red LEDs and drop out. I turn off and turn on the system. The system now shows the first three drives as new, but only after a time period. By this time, I've started the RAID6 conversion again. I had options to "Claim" the drives, so I did so while the RAID6 conversion was running. Oh, the rotating circles on the web interface!
Damn web interface.

I decided to power off again, as the system was unresponsive. When it powered back up, it continued the RAID6 synchronization.

I had the web interface up and monitoring the synchronization process for four days.

When it only had eight hours left, the network connectivity dropped and I had to power off and power on the system again (couldn't use the off switch). The synchronization continued at 40 hours.

After synchronization, I formatted the drive. I map the Public share under Windows 7.

All of a sudden, just before I begin to copy something onto the share, I get a red blinking light.

I power off and on again (again, couldn't use the off switch), and network connectivity was never to be restored.

I tried a factory reset per specifications, and I get a red blinking light as a result. Once I tried it again, I get a solid blue light, but no network connectivity.

LaCie is willing to replace the unit, since I have bought it less than 30 days ago. However, I hope I do not run into the same problems.

I wonder if I did anything wrong. Seems awful easy to screw something up. For example, should I have converted to RAID0 first, and then RAID6?

Very fragile from my perspective so far. I hope the replacement proves to be more robust.
Last edited by cruisefx on Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cruisefx

Re: First Bad Experience With 10 TB Big5 Network 2...

Post by cruisefx » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:59 am

BTW, the 1.2.8 firmware update I described is the 5Big Network 2 Update caspule 1.2.8.zip. I am not really sure what this is, or if it updates the firmware.

TheD

Re: First Bad Experience With 10 TB 5Big Network 2...

Post by TheD » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:03 pm

Hello cruisefx

Do you still have the 5Big Network 2 and can create a dd image including the hard disk table?

Thanks in advance
Toni

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:26 am

*Maybe* the 2Big2 partitions are sufficient. I remember that the scripts which I studied could handle bot a 2 disk or a 5 disk NAS.

TheD

Post by TheD » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi Mijzelf

I’ve tried that around houndred times, but without any luck.

Thanks
Toni

TheD

Post by TheD » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:58 pm

Nobody out there with a 5Big Network 2 who can provide me with an image of one disk out of it?

If there are other solutions I’m happy to hear them and try them.

Thanks
Toni