Limbobski

One or two disks defective

Post by Limbobski » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:18 pm

My NAS crashed 3 weeks ago. Log shows this:

2017-12-28 20:22:33 - The RAID array is inactive
2017-12-28 20:22:30 - The drive in slot 5 is faulty
2017-12-27 05:44:45 - The RAID array is degraded
2017-12-27 05:44:27 - The drive in slot 4 is missing

It says drive 4 is missing - for this disk I hear the dreaded spin-up sound, so I'm pretty sure it's dead.

But it listed the drive in slot 5 as faulty as well, and all the data was gone. The lamps for disk 4 and 5 were turning off / blinking in a different way, indicating that both were bad somehow.

A few days ago I removed the disk in slot 4 and restarted - now the NAS is working. It's blinking red, but I can access the data. I am in the process of copying everything important.

But I've tried a few times to put a brand new drive in slot 4... The first time I did this I could click on a button under drive 4 to make it part of the raid... It started to include the drive, but then I lost access to the raid again, and the whole RAID became inactive again. I've tried to insert the disk a few times since, but it says "working" or something on drive 4 for a while, and then I loose access to all the data again... I remove the disk in slot 4 and restart, and then it comes back up, blinking red.

Any suggestions? Is drive 5 bad as well? Or is it the controller? Or something else?

Mijzelf

Re: One or two disks defective

Post by Mijzelf » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:41 am

My first guess would be the power supply. If that is aging, it might not be able to produce enough juice to spin up all disks.

Limbobski

Re: One or two disks defective

Post by Limbobski » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:29 pm

When I change the disk all 5 lamps are on as they should. Everything looks fine.

I tried rebuilding again today. The shares went down, but the RAID manager showed all disks as being online, but listing the raid as crashed and all data lost.

I have tried sending a support question to Lacie. Hope they have a suggestion :/