General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:57 pm 

Have recently bought a Lacie 5big network 2 NAS. I also bought seperately 5 Seagate Barracuda drives as recommended by Lacie. I put the drives in as instructed pressed the button waiting 3 minutes and then again and waited 7 minutes. Light showed as solid blue then connected to my router and get the message on network Assistant that no drives can be detected. After playing around for several hours it then showed NAS-Rescue on the Network assistant with an IP address with manual after it. I can ping the device but cannot connect to dashboard via web. I cannot update anything as it just says network configuration cannot be applied to NAS-Rescue. I have now tried attaching to two separate PC's and directly using a Cross over cable but it does not seem to be able to detect the NAS. I have also done a factory reset but still no luck.
Am I missing a step or is there something wrong with the device.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:45 am 

i've bought a barracuda too, but my lacie won't be visible, and i can't ping. have you resolved your problem???

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:18 pm 

belive it or not, I think I had the same problem.
After unpacking the NAS, I put 5 disks into and could not connect to the box.
However, the fine manual has a hint for it. This is my procedure which follows the manual for restoring factory settings:
THIS WILL ERASE YOUR DATA ON YOUR HDDs!!!
Only do this if you purchased a diskless 5Big Network 2

1) switch off the NAS
2) pull out all HDDs
3) disconnect from network
4) switch on the box (don't press any button etc.)
5) wait until the LED is permanent blue (it will blink meanwhile while preparing the system)
6) while still turned on, push in your HDDs in the box
7) push the button for 5 secs (it will start blining red/blue), now the HDDs are initialized (you can verify this by looking at the HDD-LEDs on the back of the box (flashing quikly).
8) when the big LED is stops blinking you may connect the box to your network (whatever you do, but use LAN1 socket)
9) now you should be able to connect to your box with your favourite browser.

I hope this might help a bit...

best regards.

Last edited by NiLacie on Mon May 27, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:00 pm 

thanks for this description
However this will only work if you have bought a "disk less" version 0f the 5big2 (so without any disk already installed)
If you bought it with already disk installed this won't work. The "disk less" version has a nand flash on board containing a kernel and basic firmware, the one delivered with disks doesn't has this, it has a smaller flash only containing-boot.
Unfortunate the 5big2 manual doesn't mention this difference.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:09 pm 

Right, this is essential.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:30 pm 

Hello, NiLacie, do you remember how long did it take to complete the process? I have done what you said more than 2 hours ago, and all the lights are flashing...

If any one knows how to solved this problem, I will appreciate the contribution. I had a 2 disks crashed, and need to use the others to change pieces to recover data, so I just have 1 original disk, so I bought all the 5 disks new, insert them in the 5big and didnt recognized... I follow your steps, and every light is flashing since then, more than two hours ago...

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:38 pm 

The process has stopped after around 22 hours... But by default, it made the RAID 5, and know I have set to RAID6. Waiting other 20 Hours... but it seems to work.

Im writting this beacause my NAS is not a diskless one...