HMNHDCE Hard Drive failure - Replaced with new Hard Drive

dol5714

HMNHDCE Hard Drive failure - Replaced with new Hard Drive

Post by dol5714 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:00 pm

Thank you so much for this forum.

I have a Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive Cloud Edition 34766 (HMNHDCE) 2TB NAS. Recently, the hard drive failed and I was getting the red flashing on the NAS.

I purchased another 2TB hard drive to replace the old hard drive. The original hard drive is a Seagate 2TB, and I am trying to replace with a WD 2TB.

I followed the instructions located at http://iomega.nas-central.org/wiki/Reco ... edia_CE%29 and everything seem to go just fine. I installed both the 32 mb portion, and the firmware. However, when I go to boot the HMNHDCE up I am now getting a solid red light. (I think that indicates that the drive is not found). Upon further reading, I think the above instructions are for the "Classic" HMNHDCE.

It appears there may be updated firmware that is compatible with mine, but when I go to the download pages of this forum (http://downloads.iomega.nas-central.org/), or Mijzelf download page (http://downloads.iomega.nas-central.org ... ons.2.064/). There are no files showing up. Is there a problem with the server?

Can I restore the HMNHDCE with a Western Digital Hard drive?

I would appreciate any guidance on how to resolve this problem.

Thanks and God bless, Steve

Mijzelf

Re: HMNHDCE Hard Drive failure - Replaced with new Hard Driv

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:42 am

dol5714 wrote:I think the above instructions are for the "Classic" HMNHDCE.
AFAIK there is no 'classic' CE, only 'the' CE.
dol5714 wrote:There are no files showing up. Is there a problem with the server?
Works for me. BTW, one of the links points to HMNHD downloads. HMNHD != HMNHDCE. It's really a totally different box. Different CPU, different firmware architecture, ...
Can I restore the HMNHDCE with a Western Digital Hard drive?
There might be a problem with it's power usage. The stock drive was an incredible economic one, and so maybe it cannot handle uneconomic ones.

dol5714

Post by dol5714 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:32 pm

Thank you so much for your reply Mijzelf. I have read a lot of your post and I appreciate the vast knowledge that you have.

UPDATE: I was able to access the download section and download the appropriate files.

UPDATE: I retried the instructions at http://iomega.nas-central.org/wiki/Reco ... edia_CE%29 and I got the NAS partially working again. My problem was that I did not install the proper bootrom.txt file on the USB.

PROBLEM: I am able to get access to the WEB GUI and make configuration changes to the HMNHDCE, however, the hard drive (2tb) says there is no free space. I can not create any shared folders.

What can I do to get past this obstacle and be able to start saving files to the HMNHDCE? Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and blessings, Steve

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:46 pm

Actually I have no experience with this. I don't have a HMNHDCE myself, and extracted the information about the 'recovery stick' from reading the bootscripts in dumpfiles I got from others.

Those bootscripts tell, that if you boot the box with a properly prepared recovery stick, and the reset button is pressed or there is no filesystem on the disk, it will install the firmware, creating all necessary partitions/volumes.

Well, obviously it worked at least partly, as you got a webinterface, which has been installed from the stick, so the stick was OK. If you now don't seem to have a data partition, you can
- Try to reformat the data partition from the webinterface. It might just have a defective filesystem, for some reason.
- Try to rebuild the firmware. Plugin the stick another time, and keep the reset button pressed for a minute while booting. It should install the firmware a 2nd time.
- Enable the ssh daemon, or install the FFP application, open a shell, and have a look at internal logfiles, to see if an obvious reason can be found why there is no user data volume.

dol5714

Post by dol5714 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:34 pm

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I went ahead and redid the process as suggested and it came up working perfectly. Not sure if I did something wrong on the 1st attempt. Thank you so much for taking the time to write and for your contributions.

God bless you, Steve