Duplicating failing HDD, before it fails

NWeeks

Duplicating failing HDD, before it fails

Post by NWeeks » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:42 pm

I have a failing 1TB HDD and I've successfully created a replacement drive using the Recovery wiki.

However, when I load the old hdd into a pc and run a ubuntu live cd, Gparted won't load and the disk utility shows a 1tb drive with two raid components, which I wasn't expecting. A Linux Raid Partition of 21GB and a Linux Basic Data Partition of 979GB.

I'm comfortable following instructions and googling, so far I've only found advice on setting up a new HDD (done successfully) or recovering data from failed drives (mine hasn't yet).

I've seen dd as an option, although I'm not sure if this is my best option.

Do I load both old and new HDDs into a PC and using the live CD clone them?

Or, is there a way to access the RAID* array and then have the HMNHD-CE run a normal copy job?

*When I try to start the RAID array I get a message saying not enough components available.

I don't have enough disk space anywhere to backup and copy the files as two separate operations - I need to somehow copy directly from the old to the new. Happy to work in Terminal, but I'll need idiot proof copy and paste instructions as I've only ever dabbled.

Thank you for any guidance - it's really appreciated!

So, after a bit more searching I found this ...viewtopic.php?f=269&t=5253 and now my old HDD is mounted, now to see if it copies to the new drive successfully...

Mijzelf

Re: Duplicating failing HDD, before it fails

Post by Mijzelf » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:24 pm

Assuming you had your disks in raid1, you can assemble the array with a single disk, using the '--run' flag, telling mdadm to assemble anyway, even if it's degraded. If the system was raid0, you'll need to connect both disks.

But then you're not done yet. Iomega has the most complicated filesystem I've ever seen in a NAS. You can find instructions here.

NWeeks

Post by NWeeks » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:12 am

Thank you,

I've had some success with those instructions - got the drive mounted and some files copied over. Unfortunately some folders and a lot of files 'disappeared' - folders copied over empty and are no longer visible on the original drive. I'm hoping that I can let the drive 'cool down' and try again, otherwise I'll copy over what I can and then pursue the data recovery options.

Thanks for your help, I'll update re success or failure!

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:16 am

If files are disappearing as we speak, the disk is dying, and is dying fast. In that case you do wise to use dd_rescue to create a bitwise copy of the disk, and use that copy for recovery. dd_rescue can also do several runs, where each new run only tries to read the sectors which were unreadable in the previous session. For that purpose you have to specify a logfile.

But of course the most hassle-free option is to trash the disk, and put back your backup.

NWeeks

Post by NWeeks » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:15 am

Thank you,

I've successfully copied across everything of any real value. Backup? Yep, should definitely get one for next time! Backup drive became primary drive without me realising until it failed.

After following the instructions, and for anyone trying to do the same thing - I had to use GParted to be able to see and mount the partitions to copy the contents.

Thanks again for your help