General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:38 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:57 am 

good!
please share what happened next, for others to benefit from the experience

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:54 pm 

Ok, so:
Update to 1.10
From SSH I created a partition and formatted it EXT4
Rebooted, mounted and al is working, after several reboots and remove of power cable.
Now I finally can start fine tuning.
Disk runs very hot, I need to understand HDPARM

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:26 pm 

olderzeus wrote:
Hi,

Base on https://github.com/kref/linux-oxnas, and my branch: https://github.com/olderzeus/linux-oxnas
I compile out a new kernel, can be used to install debian wheezy on HMNHDCE.

you can download from:
http://downloads.iomega.nas-central.org ... %20wheezy/

Howto is Inclued.

Regards

Hi
Thanks for tour work hmnhdce
Will you create a debian 8 version???

I was going to update it to debian 7, but if you update it to Debian 8, I will wait

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:35 am 

Hi from a new user.
I've had the Homemedia server for a while, but have decided to instead use Debian.

I've been following the instructions but have been hitting snags. Firstly, I tried Clonezilla,
but had numerous problems, so instead I've been using Fedora Live.

I get as far as seeing the volumes, and mounting on BFDlv, but there is no images directory,
but other files, etc are there. Oh, wait. They look like they're from clonezilla, although I've
twice downloaded the fedora iso.

I'll need to go back over this, but can anyone confirm please that using Fedora live should be OK?
As I say, I do see the vols, but not the images files.

Thanks
agander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:30 am 

Moving on from my previous post, Once, I nearly succeeded in this procedure, and actually got the boot to start, but it bombed. Subsequent attempts failed miserably, at the start of the procedure, with solid red light.

Eventually, I treated my Nas as dead and was able to follow the 'install on to empty drive' procedure. This was successful, and I got Debian installed successfully. Sadly, when I attempted to update to wheezy, this failed because of the too low kernel rev.

Seeing at the start of this thread that a newer kernel has been compiled, I'm hoping that this kernel could be made available to allow upgrading.

Is it possible, please, that someone could kindly make this kernel available?

Hopefully

agander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:46 pm 

don't know if I get it...new kernel?

it is in the first post:

Quote:
Hi,

Base on https://github.com/kref/linux-oxnas, and my branch: https://github.com/olderzeus/linux-oxnas
I compile out a new kernel, can be used to install debian wheezy on HMNHDCE.

you can download from:
http://downloads.iomega.nas-central.org ... %20wheezy/

Howto is Inclued.

Regards

follow the link and read through the thread, as I failed a couple of times, but posted my findings

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:30 pm 

Thanks for the swift response.

I've spent the last several days reading that thread and failing each time to complete the procedure.

It's probably me being dim, but I can't see a specific kernel that I can download, only the full procedure which I failed with. If it is there, what is its name, please? Like I say, it is probably me.

However, I did succeed with 'installing Debian to an empty disk', but that kernel is a low rev and causes trouble with udev when attempting to upgrade to wheezy. I have now just finished reverting to squeezy.
But, I really don't want to leave it there, but to get wheezy.

I could get a later kernel via apt, but don't know what flavour to go for. So, that is why I asked here.

Thanks for any help.

Oh, and while I'm here, I take my hat off to all those who stuck with it with these procedures. Brilliant work.

agander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:49 pm 

agander wrote:
It's probably me being dim, but I can't see a specific kernel that I can download,

hmnhdce-uImage.20140115

Quote:
I could get a later kernel via apt, but don't know what flavour to go for.

I don't think Debian has a suitable kernel for you. The PLX 7820 is not supported in the vanilla kernel (yet), AFAIK.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:57 pm 

OK, thanks for that. I did wonder if that might be it. I've configured and built kernels in the dim and distant past, but I understand that those steps have already been kindly done, so presumably it is just necessary to do the install.

To avoid me screwing things up, can you please provide, or point me to, a suitable procedure to follow.

I take it that I would be OK to do that on sqeeze and later do the upgrade?

Many thanks to you.

agander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:25 pm 

I can only guess. According to the Wiki the stock kernel is located starting at sector 1290 of the disk. Assuming that didn't change (why would it?) the command is
Code:
dd if=/path/to/uImage of=/dev/sda bs=512 seek=1290
and yes, that can be done from sqeeze. Before rebooting I'd also install the modules. Don't know if any module is needed to get the system up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:50 pm 

Good. Thanks for that. I'll see if I can give it a whirl later.

agander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:15 pm 

Hmm...

I did the dd copy followed just by reboot, and the squeezy kernel was still showing. I'm afraid I don't know what to do about modules in this situation so did nothing.

Whether it was pointless or not, or just wrong, I even tried replacing the kernel image in /boot, but that seemed to make no difference either.

In spite of all that monkeying about, the nas appears to be working OK still.

agander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:11 pm 

Well, I think I've got to wheezy!

Originally, my iomega nas was dead, so I followed the 'install to an empty drive' procedure, and had squeeze working OK, but attempting to upgrade to wheezy failed because the kernel version was too old.

However, it eventually dawned on me that I might now be at a stage where I could try this topic's procedure. Initially, it didn't look promising because on attempting to boot up I didn't get the expected leds - no sign of the red light.

After waiting quite some time without change, eventually I gave up and powered down. Except, it didn't power down immediately, but I noticed that the blue light flashed. So, I pressed it five times and the expected power down did occur. Then a successful reboot followed, and I then did the distro-upgrade, which also appears to have worked.

Kernel is Linux IomegaNAS 3.12.6_OXNAS and distro is
Description: Debian GNU/Linux 7.9 (wheezy)
Release: 7.9
Codename: wheezy

A major vote of thanks to all who contributed to these topics.

agander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:22 am 

A bit of a backward step I'm afraid.
I was loading a lot of backup files but ran out of space and had to have a new partition table, which unfortunately lost wheezy.
I loaded it again, but noticed that there was no red led and both white leds were on solidly. Then I found that the power button did nothing.
I reloaded, with the same result.
so, a couple of questions.
1) Do both white leds being on indicate trouble?
2) How do I restore the power button functionality?

I hope one of you knowledgable guys can give me some pointers.

Thanks

agander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:00 pm 

Leds: I only have one white all the time, as far as I remember, but look in:

http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=269&t=6277&start=285#p92435

as for power button, look in the OMV forum:

http://forums.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/8136-PowerButton-Grub-Configuration/?postID=75090#post75090

In my case, I did not install hmnhdce-modules.20140115.tgz , as it made the system to not work. Also, edit FSTAB manually, and ifconfig. Posted in this and the OMV thread in this forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next