Replacing Hard drive - Size Limit? Solid State Drives?

MrZ

Replacing Hard drive - Size Limit? Solid State Drives?

Post by MrZ » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Wow GREAT forum, just found this place and really impressed with the information sharing so thank you!

I do have a question that I was hoping someone could help point some light on the issue.

My HD seem to have instantly die, started making a clicking/high chirp sound as soon as I plug in the power supply. Seem to have started when I was watching a file from the media server. Sadly I can't seem to power down the system with the power button, white LED light is on.. a quick blink of the blue LED but it's a quick flash and only at the start and just once.

Basically it's not responsive...

1. I feel the HD is deadish or not worth trying to revive so I'm looking at a new HDD, the system is 1TB, I would like to update it to something greater than 1TB... What is the size limit for this NAS? Can a 3TB drive work?

2. Do you have a recommended drive? WD Red drive? NAS specific drives or green drive?

3. Solid state drives / SSD - Would you recommend using those? Low energy, and quick?

sorta on topic... What would case the hard drive to just die? like wasn't knocked, no power flickers... I read something about the drives not really "sleeping" or spinning down is this an issue for this Iomega NAS?

Thanks so much for your feedback.

CloudSo

Re: Replacing Hard drive - Size Limit? Solid State Drives?

Post by CloudSo » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:36 am

I am not sure what happened of your HDD, but I do replaced my HDD. I put a Hitachi 3TB NAS HDD in, and it works. hope it helps.

duke69111

Re: Replacing Hard drive - Size Limit? Solid State Drives?

Post by duke69111 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:43 pm

Same question here. I'm curious if anyone has replaced the hard drive with one larger than a 3TB? I would love to put in a 6TB drive, but could settle for 3TB or less if it doesn't support larger drives.