General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:37 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:47 pm 

I have a Iomega 34766 2TB Cloud Edition and it stopped working. How do you tell if the enclosure itself is still in working condition? Only the white power light of the front works when its on nothing else (lan leds don't light up). The hard drive itself is blank but still in working condition and has no bad sectors or errors. The drive was backed up so I would like to reinstall OS but not sure if the board itself is fried or not. Is there a way to test if it still works without reinstalling the OS?

Thank You
David

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:47 am 

Hardly. You can hook up a serial port to see if the processor is still alive, but that's it. The box doesn't have any flash, and the primary bootloader embedded in the SoC is just smart enough to find it's secundary bootloader on disk.
Oh, that can be tested. The disk should spin up on power up. But all other peripherals (including the NIC) only work after booting into Linux.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:37 am 

Mijzelf,

Thank you for the reply. How do you hook a serial port up to check? I have no experience with Linux OS. I have looked at the instructions several times since last Wednesday and I just can't understand the directions to reinstall the OS on the drive. Never noticed how convenient it was to have a Network Drive until it stopped working. Is there some kind of video tutorial that spells it out for someone who is new to this stuff? Also is it possible to use a 4TB 7200rpm drive in place of the 2TB 5400rpm Seagate?

David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:49 am 

Yesterday using Ubuntu I on a spare 1Tb drive restored the first 32Mb. In Disk Manager there are 3 Partitions 32Mb, 20Gb Healthy (Primary Partition) and 911Gb Raw. Set up a USB stick and tried to do a recovery boot using directions in Recovery (Home Media CE). USB stick only flashes once when power cord is plugged in. Not sure if USB stick is setup correctly. There are directions to setup are for Linux and Windows not sure if Boot-ROM-Code is correct.

David