Download: Running Syncthing on HMNHD-CE

seidler2547

Download: Running Syncthing on HMNHD-CE

Post by seidler2547 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:17 pm

Hello all,

after long quiet time, I have something new for everyone who still has their HMNHD-CE: Syncthing.

It is a neat, open-source software very alike to BitTorrent Sync.

And since I had the Iomega/EMC LifeLine SDK lying around on my hard disk, I thought I'd try it out, so here you have a nice "application": Download Syncthing_0.9.2_armel.tgz

How to install:
  • Go to the manage.html of your NAS
  • Select "Application Manager" (I knew you always wondered what this item is for)
  • Click "Add application"
  • Upload the file linked above (do not unpack or anything, use as downloaded)
  • "Syncthing" should appear in the application list
  • an item "Syncthing" should also appear under the "Network" category
How to uninstall:
  • Go to the manage.html of your NAS
  • Select "Application Manager" (I knew you always wondered what this item is for)
  • stop syncthing (black rectangle icon)
  • remove syncthing (trashcan icon)
  • caveat: the configuration, but not the certificates will be removed, so for complete uninstall you need to SSH into the device and type

Code: Select all

rm -Rf /opt/apps/syncthing
Important notes
  • First start of syncthing will take at least 4 minutes, no need to click the new "Syncthing" item during that time, just wait
  • The item will only take you to http://[IP of the NAS]:8080/ - if you change the port and/or change to https in the syncthing settings, this will not be reflected in the Iomega GUI, just use the correct URL yourself
  • syncthing will be very slow, since I needed to use the ARMv5 version (HMNHD-CE has no hardware floating point)
  • this means you will need to be very patient - e.g. if you switch to HTTPS, it will take another 5 minutes until the SSL certificate is generated, there will be no indication about what happens, syncthing will be unavailable during that time
  • also, scanning, sharing and syncing a repository will take quite a while
  • even restarting syncthing can take up to 15 minutes
  • memory usage is restrained to 200MB - this is probably too high because more than 128MB will probably bring the HMNHD-CE to it's knees already -- once syncthing will use more than 200MB it will be killed by the service manager (but restarted by it, too)
  • UPnP and global discovery is active by default, anonymous usage reporting is disabled by default
  • add repositories with path /mnt/pools/A/A0/shareName
  • syncthing runs as root, so it has access to all and every file on the system, beware and use the "Master Repository" option if needed
General notes:
  • make yourself familiar with the syncthing concepts on their website - do not ask any syncthing-specific questions here
  • I can also package this for the EZ Media, but this only has 128MB RAM which is really not much, so it might not work well at all
  • packaging for ix2 or ix4 and similar might also be possible if requested
Hope you have fun with this :)

Stefan

Mijzelf

Re: Download: Running Syncthing on HMNHD-CE

Post by Mijzelf » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:14 am

Nice!

One question: do you really have to repackage it for the EZ and ix2? I thought all armel packages should fit on all armel boxes?

seidler2547

Re: Download: Running Syncthing on HMNHD-CE

Post by seidler2547 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:19 am

Mijzelf wrote:Nice!

One question: do you really have to repackage it for the EZ and ix2? I thought all armel packages should fit on all armel boxes?
Well, at least I would adjust the maximum memory setting for EZ.

I only saw that there are several targets in the SDK, one for each NAS, so unless someone can test if there is a restriction installing the same package on another type of ARM NAS, I can't be sure if the Application Manager will check if the target matches. Also, other NASs might have hardware floating point unit, so ARMv6/v7 could be used.

Stefan