General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:03 pm 

Hi all,

This is my first post !

I started looking around this forum a while ago as I was getting feed up with having to rebooting my nas - as it always vanishes from the network after a brief period of time!

I could not find a definitive reason or fix for this in the forum.

I have a number of raspberry pi servers on my lan that never vanish, so I thought "can I install Debian" on the nas ?

#1 Can I install a new distro WITHOUT losing my current data ?

#2a What would be the best distro to install ?

# 2b Would I install a basic distro and then add stuff as required or use one of these "media server distro"?

FYI I want to server media [pictures, songs and some home videos] to the home TV etc [I have minidlna on a raspberry pi that works] and offer samba shares [with user login] to the family [I do this on a raspberry pi with public samba shares]

# 3a My family want to access data from outside of the lan - but I'm not really sure of the best way to do this, ie use dynamic dns or vpn ? I want it to be secure...

# 3b I assume once 3a is resolved I will be able to host my web stuff on the lan as well ?

Sorry about the length of the post - I expect it's all this pent up frustration with the nas falling a sleep all the time ...

woof