General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:03 pm 

Hi all,

First time poster here so please forgive any lack of information of technical know how.

I have an IOMEGA Home Network 2tb Cloud Edition external harddrive. All was working fine until a couple of weeks ago when I suddenly could no longer access. I have tried to access via a web browser by putting in the IP address, and have additionally tried to access via the storage manager. Neither of which work.

Looking at the device, there is a solid white light when switched on which is normal and shows the device is receiving power. I am however not receiving any blue flashing lights. I'm guessing the issue might be related to m router and possible enabling devices with new IP addresses. The only thing that I can think of is that I received new iphone which may have stolen the external harddrives IP address.

Any advice would be appreciated as I have years of data stored on the drive that I do not want to lose.

Thanks,

DC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:17 pm 

Did you ever assing a fixed IP address? I guess not. In that case the iPhone can't have 'stolen' the IP address, as the address is assigned by the router (in it's function as DHCP server).

It is possible that the box simply died. As all electronics a NAS has a limited lifespan, which is hard to predict. It's also possible that the harddisk died, but I don't think so. In that case the NAS would have showed some panic leds.

Have you already tried to reboot the box?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:36 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
Did you ever assing a fixed IP address? I guess not. In that case the iPhone can't have 'stolen' the IP address, as the address is assigned by the router (in it's function as DHCP server).

No, I've not assigned any fixed IP address to my devices. To be honest, I don't really know how to other than having a vague idea through the router.

Mijzelf wrote:
It is possible that the box simply died. As all electronics a NAS has a limited lifespan, which is hard to predict. It's also possible that the harddisk died, but I don't think so. In that case the NAS would have showed some panic leds.

Hmm.... I would not be impressed if this was the case. Although to be fair, it's pretty much been plugged in 24/4 for the last 5 years. I'd be open to buying a new harddrive but I have years of pictures, videos, music etc all stored on my drive which I really don't want to lose.

Mijzelf wrote:
Have you already tried to reboot the box?

Other than turning it off and then on again, no. As above, i really don't want to lose the existing data already stored on the harddrive.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:02 pm 

You should have had a backup. But that's crying over spilled milk now.

Assuming the electronics died, and the disk is still alive, you can recover your data by connecting it to a Linux system. Any PC booted from a Live Linux CD or -USB stick will do. The disk can be connected using an USB to Sata converter, or USB enclosure, or directly using Sata. If the disk is bigger than 2TB usb can give problems.

And then you'll have to do some commandline voodoo. Here is some more info.