General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:10 am 

I am accidentally broke firmware of my HMND - Cloud Edition, when I read HDD image in Linux desktop. Can your upload original HDD image of HMND CE 1TB or 2TB, so that I could download and unpack on my 1st and 2nd partition of HDD, as described in this solution "http://iomega.nas-central.org/wiki/Installing_firmware_on_a_new_disk_(Home_Media)" . So I need download mbr+uboot+kernel.gz and sda1-2064.tgz for Cloud Edition only. Please help me. Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:22 pm 

Hello,
I will create the "mbr+uboot+kernel.gz and sda1-2064.tgz" files if someone can give me detailed instructions.

I have a Iomega HMNHD-CE without any information on it and I have tried to swapout the current 1TB HDD for a 2TB drive I have laying about.
I duplicated the RAID partitions on CLONEZILLA, but the new hard drive does not boot (I suspect, because I did not duplicate the MBR partition/information correctly!).

If someone can supply me with instructions on how to create the Firmware images I will gladly create and upload these. Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:49 pm 

I have a brandnew HMNHD-CE 2TB in the box. I want to do various tests. Before I start with this I remove the 2TB and replace it by a testdisk of 500GB. I can connect the 2TB to my desktop and want to use parted magic - clonezilla for making backup images. I have done this before, but for this situation I am not sure how to do this. Can someone give me instruction for:
A. Making the images so I have them for myself.
B. You can give me a location and instructions to upload them if you want. If you want a readme file to add. Please make this and give me instructions if you want me to add this to the upload.
C. How to restore the images with parted magic to my testdisk of 500GB.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:01 am 

AFAIK clonezilla also backups the 'unused' space between partition table and first partition. So if the CE is comparable to the 'Classic' on this point, it should have restored the bootloader and kernel automagically.

Anyway, seeing the partition list, it is clear that there is plenty of room for additional data before the start of the first partition. And I think it's also clear that partition 2 is the data partition. So an easy way to store the firmware could be just storing the first 21.5GB (MBR+'unused space'+first partition) and hope it contains mainly zero's for better compression.

To find the exact size, do a 'fdisk -lu /dev/sda' on the disk, and note the startsector of partition 2 (assuming the NAS disk is sda).

Then dump and compress
Code:
dd if=/dev/sda count=startsector_of_part2 | lzma >/path/to/much/free/room/CE.lzma
Cross your fingers and hope CE.lzma will have a manageable size.
Restoring is is inverting the sequence:
Code:
cat /path/to/CE.lzma | lzma -d | dd of=/dev/sda
(Doublecheck sda is the right one. dd will overwrite without asking)
Then use fdisk to delete partition 2, and recreate it. (Partition 2 will have to fill up all remaining space after partition 1). I don't know if you'll have to put a filesystem on partition 2, as it seems to be used as logical volume, and not as 'plain partition'.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:05 pm 

Can some kind soul help to upload the firmware images from their HMNHD-CE as suggested by Mijzelf (as I too have bricked my HMNHD-CE) :?:
I too followed the "http://iomega.nas-central.org/wiki/Installing_firmware_on_a_new_disk_(Home_Media)" guide to the letter but the NAS drive does not boot.

When I plug the power cube to the drive, the power light comes on and HDD light flashes once and that is it.
I look at my routers "attached devices" list, and there is no IP address assigned to the HMNHD-CE (though LAN port activity light is flashing).
The power button does not do anything.
The reset button does nothing.

My model number on the back is HMND2.

Background:
I accidentally formatted the drive and need to get it back to factory setting.
I used LiveUSB linux boot on my laptop to boot Fedora Linux and removed the HDD from HMNHD-CE and attached it to my Linux laptop using a SATA-USB enclosure.
After following the guide to create partition 1 & 2 and restoring the mbr+uboot+kernel.gz and sda1-2064.tgz images (download from the wiki pages), I can see that the HMNHD-CE HDD has been partitioned with 4.2 GB for Partition 1 and Partition 2 taking the rest of the 1TB.
That is, my partition was NOT 21 GB.

That leads me to think that those images from the guide do not apply to my model number.

Please help.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:28 am 

macnb wrote:
I too followed the "http://iomega.nas-central.org/wiki/Installing_firmware_on_a_new_disk_(Home_Media)" guide to the letter but the NAS drive does not boot.
Yeah, that is to be expected. The CE is a totally diffent box than the 'classic'. I'll edit the page with a warning that it's classic only.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:30 pm 

@ Mijzelf I will create the "mbr+uboot+kernel.gz and sda1-2064.tgz" files for the HMNHD-CE if someone can give me detailed instructions, including file names to use and where and how to upload.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:59 pm 

I gave an instruction here. Let me know how managable the size of the resulting CE.lzma is.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:53 pm 

I have created the equivalent "mbr+uboot+kernel.gz and sda1-2064.tgz" files for the HMNHD-CE using the instructions above.
This was from a 'clean' 1TB version.

I have restored this to a 2TB drive. I formated the remaining 1.8TB to XFS and tried running the NAS.
The software and GUI appears to be working, but there are no shares.
There appears to be 1.8TB but no free space.
When when I try to create new shares it does not work and I get the error message "The selected function is not available due to the state of the pools."

Apparently the LVM partition is not available to the device to use. I guess I have to create the LV group and make it available to the OS, but I don`t know how.
I am now logged in with root access over SSH.

The .lzma file is 122MB - let me know where and how to upload this.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:19 pm 

I have also tried "Resetting to Factory default" (selecting to remove all data) and updating the firmware.
Neither affected the missing "data" partition

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:12 pm 

@Mijzelf

I was confused because I am not very experienced with linux and you talked about Clonezilla first but you used the basis command line instructions.
Your instructions translated to my situations worked.

The command fdisk -lu /dev/sda was not usefull it gives a "GPT detected on /dev/sda. The util fdisk doesn't support GPT." and it recommenduse GNU Parted.
Gparted gives:
unallocated 32mIB, First 0, Last 65535
sda1 first 65536, last 42008576
sda2 first 42008584, last 3907029106
Remarkable there are some sectors between sda1 last and sda2 first.

Your instructions translated to my situations worked.
I now have a CE.lzma file.

My CE.lzma is 136Mb.
This is from a not even started 2TB HMNHD-CE. The box mentioned: HDD NETWORK DRIVE HOME MEDIA II, Assembled in China, Date: 08-24-11.
Harddrive: ST32000542AS Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB. Firmware: CC38.
+5V 0,272A, +12V 0,312A

If you want me this to upload please let me know.

I now start testing it with a 500GB testdrive.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:46 pm 

Making CE.lzma cost about 90 minutes.
Restore with the cat command to a 500GB drive was only 10 seconds or less.
Result only one partition....
And the Nas spins up and a white light and after a short while a red light came up.
No HMNHD on my network.

Any suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:50 pm 

136MB :shock: That's very good compression. I was afraid for 1GB, and hoping for 500MB. There must be a *lot* of zeros in that 31GB. I'll pm you upload information.

When you have restored it to your 500GB disk, you should use fdisk to delete partition 2, and recreate it, or parted to shrink it.

/Edit: Now I see Luke1975 has an even smaller image. How is that possible?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:04 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
Yeah, that is to be expected. The CE is a totally diffent box than the 'classic'. I'll edit the page with a warning that it's classic only.

Ah ha. I see that's why it do not work. Yes it would great to change that guide so that no one else makes the same mistake.

Now I just need the image that CE.lzma image for the 1TB version to be uploaded and try that out...luke1975 ..hint ..hint :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:10 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
/Edit: Now I see Luke1975 has an even smaller image. How is that possible?

@Mijzelf, where can Luke1975 drop his image for us to try out ??

Also, could it be that his image is smaller because he has a 1TB version and ton123 has a 2TB version of the HMNHD-CE ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next