General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:18 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:14 am 

Recorded. But it was possible to install from a flash drive firmware then.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:08 am 

Can you rephrase that? It's not clear what you mean.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:05 am 

I fully formatted disk with no partitions. I recorded it through Linux Complete Recovery. After running Recovery Boot on the hard drive folder is displayed "app" with files. After return the disk to Iomega, the device is not detected when the connection to the PC cord Ethernet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:04 pm 

Hi,
I need help to install the original firmware in a new Hard Drive, because the original drive is broken, my device is Iomega Home Media Cloude Edition, I follow this instructions http://iomega.nas-central.org/wiki/Reco ... e_Media_CE) but I put the power cable keeping the reset button pressed, when device starts and the blue LED (Hard Drive) starts flicker I release it, the alert LED (red LED) is on, on the instructions I need wait device off. but it dosent.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:47 am 

Hold reset till the USB stick starts to flicker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:20 pm 

Im trying to install the firmware on a new Hard Disk, on the instructions there is:

Quote:
The Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive Cloud Edition (HMNHDCE) boots entirely from harddisk. There is no flash-memory in the system at all. The first 32 MB of the harddisk store various system files that are needed for booting. You can find details here. The content of these first 32 MB has to be intact for the recovery procedure. You will need a PC and a USB-Stick with at least 512MB free space (the free space is needed when the recovery files are already on it, so a 512MB stick will NOT work, you'll need at least 1GB).

So, these instructions are to install the firmware in the same HD. Somebody knows how I can install firmware in a new HD?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:30 pm 

alanalmeida wrote:
So, these instructions are to install the firmware in the same HD. Somebody knows how I can install firmware in a new HD?

Section "Complete Recovery", at the very bottom of the linked page.

Stefan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:57 pm 

Hi Stefan, Thanks for your reply, I already intall the first 32 MB then I did the normal process.

Do you know which format must be my HD? I try ext4, NTFS and FAT, but it dosent work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:01 pm 

alanalmeida wrote:
Hi Stefan, Thanks for your reply, I already intall the first 32 MB then I did the normal process.

Do you know which format must be my HD? I try ext4, NTFS and FAT, but it dosent work.

You don't have to care. Restore the first 32M as per WIKI, prepare USB stick as per WIKI (this must be FAT, but this is also stated in the WIKI), put HDD into NAS, plug USB into NAS, start NAS while holding reset button down, ... basically follow the instructions in the WIKI to the point. If there's anything unclear, let us know, but I gather that others have succeeded using the given instructions, so it should be fairly complete.

Stefan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:15 pm 

Its all clear but dosent work yet... I should be doing something wrong, I will try again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:23 pm 

alanalmeida wrote:
Its all clear but dosent work yet... I should be doing something wrong, I will try again.

I have a feeling you're doing something with the HDD which you shouldn't. So basically:

- connect the HDD to your PC, write the 32M to it (make sure you write it to the correct drive) (I see that maybe I should add a "sync" command to the Wiki instructions, but it should be enough to wait 5 seconds or so before you unplug the HDD from the PC)
- put the HDD back into to NAS
- prepare USB stick on your PC
- plug USB stick into NAS
- boot up NAS, holding the reset button until the USB stick flickers (up to 2 minutes) or the HDD LED on the NAS flickers a lot

Make sure that you actually press the reset button, maybe you need a needle, a pen often won't reach the actual button. You should feel a soft "click" when you hit the button.

Stefan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:31 pm 

up to 2 minutes.... I didnt wait a lot of time..... I will try and then I will back here, tks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:10 pm 

Dosen't work...

you said that maybe Im doing something wrong with HDD, see this pic, this is when I restored the first 32 MB, is that right?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:00 pm 

Why do you partition and make a filesystem on the HDD? There's nothing about that in the Wiki. The command is zcat ... dd of=/dev/sdb ... NOT sdb1.

Stefan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:46 pm 

I create a partition and formated before that I see the wiki page, in image you can see the comands to format because I wanted to erase the HDD before make the process again, every attempt I erased the disk.

Now, I delete the partition and reinstall the first 32 MB then the firmware, and it works, thaks for your help and instructions on the wiki page.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next