How to add 2. Home media CE to other cloud?

neveceral

How to add 2. Home media CE to other cloud?

Post by neveceral » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi, I created Personal Cloud on my first HMCE, added my second HMCE as member of cloud. On second HMCE I choosed Other Personal Cloud, filled in cloud name and access code, but I got this error message "The device controlling the Personal Cloud cannot be contacted."
I do not know, where is a problem? I can create and access Personal clouds on both devices, I have port forwarding on both routers...
Thank you for help.

Neil2k

Re: How to add 2. Home media CE to other cloud?

Post by Neil2k » Sun May 05, 2013 3:51 pm

I have this same problem. I purchased one of these devices and so did my folks. I have set theirs up at their house, connected to Virgin National (ADSL) via their NetGear router, and mine here connected to Virgin Cable, via Virgin Superhub. Both have relevant port forwarding switch on from what I can tell.

Their device is controlling the cloud and is connected ok and my device is trying to connect to their device/ cloud. I have emailed myself the login details and code from their house and when I enter those details here into "Connect to other personal cloud", I get "The device controlling the Personal Cloud cannot be contacted". This is just constantly retrying.

My aim is that my PCs backup using to my device using QuikProtect (working fine), as do my folks PC and laptop to theirs and then both devices will sync over the Personal Cloud (the whole reason I bought this model).

Anyone any ideas what I can try? I've been tinkering with this on and off for quite a while now.

Thanks,
Neil

Mijzelf

Re: How to add 2. Home media CE to other cloud?

Post by Mijzelf » Sun May 05, 2013 5:54 pm

It's not about the Iomega Cloud, but I did some tests with Bittorrent Sync, and it's pure magic. Two NASses, 200 kilometers from each other, both after a NAT router without any specific portforwardings, found each other within 10 seconds, and started syncing. As far as I could measure syncing went a bit faster than the maximum bandwidth. So I think it does some compression as well.

Here is some information about installing btsync on FFP, and here is information about installing FFP on a Home Media CE.