General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:04 am 

OMV is based on a simple Debian squeeze which is installed onto md0. So you can use it like a Debian install on a noormal PC, including apt-get and aptitude and everything else (although there might be some issues with some packages that have not been thoroughly tested on ARM).

I write ext3 because in the Pogoplug forum someone said that the ext4 support in this kernel is not quite finalized and better be avoided. I have used it myself already though, but only a little bit for testing.

Stefan
P.S.: Official Debian Squeeze "solution" for XFS on ARM is to disable it in the kernel.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:12 am 

Hello there, First of all thankyou for getting this to work on my NAS works very well indeed. Is a lot more responsive however I have noticed that the network speed over SMB is capped at around 11 megabytes a sec when on the IOMEGA firmware I can achieve around 30-35ish. Any insight into this? If this can be sorted then i'll literally be over the moon. Once again. Genuinely THANKYOU.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:06 pm 

Hi guys,
Something very strange happened. Everything was going ok. I connected to the Web interface, and was doing the initial settings.
When I tried to mount the data volume (2.7 TB in my case) the system became unresponsible.
Tried to boot it up, but not luck. It turns the white light on, flashes the blue HDD light a couple of times and then all the lights go off (I think it shuts down it self).
Tried the whole process again, but even holding the reset button, it never got to the point where the two white leds started to blink.

Today I removed the hardrive and installed it again on a Ubuntu. I notice that the logical volume md0_vg (the 20gb partition) is gone, even though /dev/md0 was still detected by "vgchange -ay". All PVS shows me now is:
Code:
# pvs
  PV         VG          Fmt  Attr PSize  PFree
  /dev/md1   2e26c579_vg lvm2 a-    2.71t    0

by the way, all my personal files are still intact.

Does any bode know what happened?
Well, that is not necessarily important. I think now I need to build the LVM for /dev/md0 again. Does anybody know how to do that?

Thank you in advance

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:08 pm 

Quote:
Well, that is not necessarily important. I think now I need to build the LVM for /dev/md0 again. Does anybody know how to do that?

Looks like I might have the answer to my own questions.
I restored /dev/md0 by mounting the usb_drive and re-executing all the commands from emctools/hmnhd_images/preimage.sh. I of course took care to change the device name from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb (that is where my 3 TB HDD was mapped. I found that out using Disk Utility). Also. of course I did not execute the last line of the script :)

Well, I mounted the NAS again and it went straight (? - almost! it took a couple of seconds and a reboot, but no manual intervention required). After couple of minutes, all was restored and I sucessfully accessed the web UI again.

This time I first enable SSH. That is what I got:
Code:
root@hmnhdce-omv:/# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0               20G  988M   18G   6% /
tmpfs                 125M  8.0K  125M   1% /lib/init/rw
udev                   10M  144K  9.9M   2% /dev
tmpfs                 125M     0  125M   0% /dev/shm
root@hmnhdce-omv:~# pvs
  PV         VG          Fmt  Attr PSize PFree
  /dev/md1   2e26c579_vg lvm2 a-   2.71t    0

Looking good!

So I was back to the web UI and under Filesystems, I hit the mount icon...
F***U
LOST CONNECTION AGAIN! Even my SSH session was dropped.

Looks like my XFS problem is more serious than I thought. Now I think I have two options.
1) Do everything again and try to mount /dev/md1 from SSH, or
2) Do everything again and kill my partition and build a fresh EXT3 in place

I`m quite inclined to go straight to option 2. But as you might noticed, I`m not a linux expert. Could someone help me with that? What should I use? mke2fs? How?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:13 pm 

Anyone able to shed some light on the issue im having two posts up. I'm itching to get it running but can't work out why it'd be limited to 10-11mbit on a gigabit lan connection

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:15 pm 

fgouvea wrote:
I`m not a linux expert.
Maybe not. But at least you are good in googling and/or reading documentation.

Yes, an ext3 filesystem is normally made with mke2fs
Code:
mke2fs -j /dev/whatever
-j adds a journal, else you'll have an ext2 fs. On some distros you can/must use mkfs.ext3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:50 am 

fgouvea wrote:
Quote:

Looks like I might have the answer to my own questions.

Looks like my XFS problem is more serious than I thought. Now I think I have two options.
1) Do everything again and try to mount /dev/md1 from SSH, or
2) Do everything again and kill my partition and build a fresh EXT3 in place

I`m quite inclined to go straight to option 2. But as you might noticed, I`m not a linux expert. Could someone help me with that? What should I use? mke2fs? How?

Thanks

First congrats on solving this. I recommend 2, and it's easier than you think, just do not mount the volume but format it using the web interface to ext3, then mount it.

Stefan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:48 pm 

seidler2547 wrote:
...just do not mount the volume but format it using the web interface to ext3, then mount it.

It was simple indeed. I just deleted the filesystem and created it again from the web ui.

Mijzelf wrote:
On some distros you can/must use mkfs.ext3

Looks like mkfs.ext3 would do the trick. That is what I got from "ps" while the partition was being created:
Code:
root      5045     1  0 00:29 ?        00:00:00 sudo omv-initfs -b -t ext3 /dev/mapper/2e26c579_vg-lv1430e500
root      5046  5045  0 00:29 ?        00:00:00 /bin/sh /usr/sbin/omv-initfs -b -t ext3 /dev/mapper/2e26c579_vg-lv1430e500
root      5063  5046 69 00:29 ?        00:11:37 mkfs.ext3 -b 4096 /dev/mapper/2e26c579_vg-lv1430e500

This time, when I mounted the filesystem, the system didn`t go down. I could actually start some restore.

BUT, when I rebooted the system, it didn`t came back up again. There was the same symptom I had when I still had XFS: the white light goes on, the blue HDD light flashes a bit, then all lights go off and I get no response from either web or ssh.

I then repeated the whole process to bring the system up. But this time I didn`t mount the 2.7TB partition (which now shows as EXT3 as expected). I did lots of configuration changes and rebooted the system a couple of times. All the times it came back up ok.
Then I mounted the the 2.7TB filesystem again and rebooted. Guess! It didn`t came up again!

Well, I have spent the last two days trying to forge a serial cable. I don`t know why, but I always get garbage. Does any body has any guidance on how to do so? I`m not using a USB port, but the regular DB9 serial port on a desktop.
I tried the simple cable with TX, RX and GND connected to pins 2, 3 and 5 of DB9. This I tried with hundred of different combinations of baud, stop, parity and flow control. Looks like 115200-8-N-1 NONE is the right one. At least the garbage is "consistent". For instance, the dot "." is was shown as "4". I assumed that because "4" is the only thing that repeats 20 or 30 time in sequence, so I imagine that is a sequence "........................................".

There was one time that I tried to shortcut RTS to CTS and DSR/DCD to DTR ( all on the PC side, since we don`t have those on NAS side). The very first reboot after that, I got a quite decent output with 115200-8-N-1 NONE. But there was still a little garbage. Even though it was enough to read that NAS stopped just after the the 2.7TB partition was mounted, but the garbage didn`t let me read why. I tried to reboot the NAS a couple more time, but then I either got not output at all or I got complete unreadable garbage.

Does any body has any recommendation on the serial cable? Maybe I should find some use to the first pin of JP4 (the one we believe to be 3.3v).

Well, now I think I have two options.
- Give up on everything and try the full recovery :(
- Or maybe find a way to not allow the 2.7TB partition to mount at boot time. Is that possible?

On either case, I'll buy one of those USB to serial cables from DX.com so we can find out what is wrong. Any recommendations?

Best regards

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:14 am 

fgouvea wrote:
the regular DB9 serial port on a desktop.
That can kill your NAS. The serial port on most embedded devices is 3.3 or 5V TTL (the recent ones all 3.3V), while the signal level on an rs232 port is 12V. You definitelty need a level converter, or, of course, an usb-to-ttl serial convertor.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:47 am 

fgouvea wrote:
On either case, I'll buy one of those USB to serial cables from DX.com so we can find out what is wrong. Any recommendations?

See my quest here: viewtopic.php?f=269&t=6169

In general, the FTxxx seem to work better than the CP2102.

Also, this is German but it's a good list with cheap Nokia mobile phone cables which all provide the Serial to USB, and here is a wiki article which has the same topic.

Stefan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:27 pm 

fgouvea wrote:

I know it is not the case for this thread, but you may ask why I need Serviio instead of twonky, tvMobili and miniDLNA.
The answer is: I HAVE A SHITTY SONY TV (you don`t know how much I regret to not take Samsung and LG).
If you have a Sony TV and playstation, so you probably know already that even though it supports AVC (aka H.264 aka MPEG4 Part 10) and AC3, sony only MPEG-TS containers. It means, even if you have all your videos packed as AVC+AC3 on MKV files (which is my case), they won`t play on your sony unless you remux them to MPEG-TS. You could either do the full transcoding as well, but I don`t think Home Media CE would have enough horse power to do so. But remuxing is VERY lightweight so I`m confident that would work.
Enough of videos, let`s get back to Debian. Lenny more specifically.

I have same problem with a PHILIS TV no format videos can be seen throgth DLNA. someone say that they are able to see any videos in samsumg TV with mobetv.

I do not know if you have tried this and if you got any good results :)

I am planning to staret with this issue nex week and maybe we can help eachother :P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:47 pm 

Well, apparently the problem was solved. Unfortunately I don`t know exactly how. Just to recap, here is where I stopped:
fgouvea wrote:
I did lots of configuration changes and rebooted the system a couple of times. All the times it came back up ok.
Then I mounted the the 2.7TB filesystem again and rebooted. Guess! It didn`t came up again!

Here is what I did:
- I was too lazy to build a new cable, so I decided to mount the NAS hdd on Ubuntu again. But this time, instead of re-writing the first 32mb of /dev/md0 and have the whole OMV installed again (the flashing red led), I just removed the entries of the 2.7TB filesystem from fstab, mtab and blkid.tab. Here are the lines I removed:
Code:
/etc/fstab
 UUID=ec080181-1caa-469a-ad02-bc7cfa2c49ff /media/ec080181-1caa-469a-ad02-bc7cfa2c49ff ext3 defaults,acl,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0 0 2

/etc/mtab
 /dev/mapper/2e26c579_vg-lv1430e500 /media/ec080181-1caa-469a-ad02-bc7cfa2c49ff ext3 rw,noexec,acl,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0 0 0

/etc/blkid.tab
 <device DEVNO="0xfd00" TIME="1351698941" PRI="45" UUID="ec080181-1caa-469a-ad02-bc7cfa2c49ff" TYPE="ext3">/dev/mapper/2e26c579_vg-lv1430e500</device>

- At this point, I also made a backup of the whole /var/log/ (from /dev/md0 of the NAS hdd, not from my Ubuntu of course) for future reference.
- Then I put the hdd back into the NAS and started it up.
- It then came up successfully
- Then I did another backup of the whole /var/log/, just for future reference
- I then mounted the 2.7tb from shell (not from WebUI) to /media/storage.
- I got the NAS rebooted
- It took quite a while to come back. I had the blue hdd led flashing freakly for quite long minutes
- It then came up successfully. I thought the 2.7tb was not mounted. On the worst case, it would be mounted to /media/storage. But for my surprise, it was successfully mounted to /media/ec080181-1caa-469a-ad02-bc7cfa2c49ff, which is the mount point the WebUI uses!
- I checked fstab, mtab and blkid.tab And all the lines I removed where there again.
- I then made the copy of /var/log again, for future reference.

Apparently, everything is working fine now. I did a couple of reboots and all is working.

I have spent the last days trying to find something useful on the var/logs I have backed-up. I found nothing yet, but I saw some strange messages about quotas. And one thing I have noticed is that is has two new files that were not there when things were not working:
Code:
-rw------- 1 root root  7168 Oct 27 19:47 aquota.group
-rw------- 1 root root  7168 Oct 27 19:14 aquota.user

Apparently something was missing on my ext3 filesystem which as solved at the time of the last reboot (the one that had the flashing hdd light for a couple of minutes).

I'll try to find something more relevant on the var/logs. Maybe I can figure out what was wrong.
But now everything works.

By the way, I noticed a big list of updates suggested by the "Update Manager" at the webUI. Would you guys recommend installing any of those?
Also, did anyone managed to get Java working? I tried all the JREs available at Debian Packages (using apt-get), but none worked.

Regards

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:53 pm 

I could be it just did an fsck and check the whole file system through. It does that every couple of mounts (after about 30~50 mounts).

Also, I thought that maybe your partition table wasn't (or isn't) right (because you have a 3TB drive, which is only supported by the GPT, not the MBR partition table), you can find out with
Code:
parted -l

Stefan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:09 am 

Greetings, Stefan

Is it possible to install OpenMediaVault on an empty hard disk?
That is, without partitions or data or anything. Completely empty.

I have a 500GB hard drive for testing and I would try this firmware.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:16 am 

Hi

I have a problem accessing the iomega throuh PuTTy -->
PuTTy just gives me an access denied when I try to access the NAS

any help please. becouse i cannot start my OMV instalation.

thanksss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next