HMNHD - CE won't boot, flashing white power indicator light

msrn

HMNHD - CE won't boot, flashing white power indicator light

Post by msrn » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:00 am

Hi,

I have an 2TB HMNHD - CE that's a little over a year old that won't boot -- every time I detach and reattach the power cord, I get a solid white power indicator with a flashing blue activity light, that eventually changes to a flashing white power indicator, which the manual says means the drive is "starting up or shutting down," except it never stops flashing.
-
This started happening after I tried to do a hardware factory reset because I was having trouble accessing the drive via both the web interface and the storage manager software, and I thought a factory reset would help. I was able to access the folders and files from my Win 7 PC though. But now that the drive doesn't boot, I don't have access to anything.

What's my best course of action? I've seen some references to booting the device up from a usb flash drive, but other than this procedure http://iomega.nas-central.org/wiki/Reco ... _Media_CE) , which has a prominent warning about loss of data, I haven't seen any details. Is it possible to boot the drive from a usb drive without losing data? Do I have any other options besides removing the drive from the enclosure and trying to read the drive from a Linux system (which I don't have, but presumably could set up)?

Thanks.

seidler2547

Re: HMNHD - CE won't boot, flashing white power indicator li

Post by seidler2547 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:28 pm

Well, getting the disk out and connecting it to a PC would be the safest option. With a USB HD adapter you don't even need an extra PC, you can "connect" USB devices to a VirtualBox, so you can set up a Ubuntu VirtualBox and access the data there.

The only other "relatively safe" option would be to install my alternate firmware: http://stefanseidel.info/component/cont ... cle/9.html
Relatively safe means in this case: if everything goes alright, your data will be intact and all is good. If not, then I cannot guarantee for anything, your data might be lost.

If you do the recovery (from the Wiki), then your data will very most likely be lost.

Stefan

msrn

Post by msrn » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:18 pm

OK, I did as you suggested: I took out the drive, created a Ubuntu (12.04) VirtualBox (4.1.2) on my Win 7 PC. The drive is connected to an eSata port, not USB, but I've tried both and as far as I can tell the results are pretty much the same. I created a vmdk file to point to the drive and used the VirtualBox UI to point to the vmdk. I'm totally new to Unix (Windows veteran), so bear with me.

sudo fdisk -l gives me a warning that GPT was detected on /dev/sdb, and that I should use GNU Parted. Judging from the ~2TB size, this is the drive I'm interested in, so I installed GNU Parted. GNU Parted identifies 3 partitions, one it says is "unallocated," apparently 32MB, one it calls /dev/sdb1, that's 20GB, and /dev/sdb2, that's 1.8TB. It tells me the second two partitions are file ssytem "lvm2", and I also get an exclamation mark in a red circle that links to a message that says, "Logical volume management is not yet supported."

I did a sudo apt-get lvm to install lvm, but none of the subcommands have worked for me. I keep getting "No volume groups found," or similar messages.

I've seen other mentions that say this drive is supposed to have three partitions. Is my first partition corrupted? Can I fix it? Is there a way to mount the data partition to check whether my files are still there? I'm not sure what parameters to use on the mount command, since it seems to me like it needs more information than I have.

The priority for me is to get the data. At this point, I'm okay with the NAS not working any more, although if it's easy to fix then I'll do it.

Thanks.

seidler2547

Post by seidler2547 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:29 pm

Well, looks good so far, so congratulations. The partitions are absolutely correct, the first 32M are not partitioned.

I think you should just reboot the VM or run

Code: Select all

sudo -s
pvscan && vgscan && vgchange -ay && lvscan
The logical volume should be visible now.

If this doesn't work then the MD devices are not detected; do

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends mdadm
and run

sudo mdadm --assemble --scan
and then the above sequence.

Stefan

msrn

Post by msrn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:22 am

Woo-hoo! I got my data!

I had already rebooted, and I tried the first set of commands, and they weren't enough, so yes, the MD devices weren't detected (not that I'm entirely sure what that means), but after I tried the second set of commands and repeated the first, the two partitions appeared in Files and I was able to click the larger partition and see everything I've saved. It's like a miracle.

I'm still struggling with how I get access in Windows to ~600GB data on a Unix drive without having 600GB free disk space on a Windows drive to copy it to, but at least I can pull what I need when I need it. I suppose I will have to buy a new drive, which I'm sure is a good idea for mirroring anyway. But in the meantime, I'm actually running Thunderbird (the drive had all my email archives) from within the Ubuntu VirtualBox, so I am now a Unix user, and feeling pretty good about it.

I'm pretty sure it would have taken me a very long time -- maybe weeks, maybe months, maybe never -- to string those commands together on my own. I'm still googling each one to try to understand what I did. Thanks Stefan!