General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:34 am 

I noticed a really strange behavior in my Home Media Network Hard Drive. The web interface and the shares stop responding after a machine with Windows 8 is in the same network. It was hard to isolate the problem, but I believe this is it.

It works well and the web interface works fine when I access it Windows 7, iPad, etc. But as soon as I connect a Windows 8 machine in the network, it stops responding some minutes later, though it still responds to pings. The same thing happens with two different Windows 8 machines. Maybe they have something else in common, but the operating system is the first thing that came to mind.

What didn't work so far:
- I tried resetting it to factory defaults
- I tried another Home Media Network Hard Drive
- I tried disabling auto configuration of networks devices in Windows 8

I just noticed the problem some days ago, so maybe it's related with some update.

Scanning the network with Wakemeonlan I noticed a really strange behavior: sometimes the MAC address of the Home Media Network Hard Drive keeps chaning. The four middle hexadecimal numbers change while the first four and the last four don't.

PS: The last thing I tried (while writing this post) was disabling Media Server on the Home Media Network Hard Drive. So far it is still responding even after I turned on both Windows 8 machines. I'll test it for a while and come back.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:40 am 

It looks like disabling Media Server just delayed the problem, but it happened again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:26 pm 

I have a Windows 8 machine on my network.

For what it's worth, I haven't experienced anything like similar problems.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:10 pm 

I found out the combination of Windows 8 + Avast Antivirus was triggering the problem.

Windows 8 without Avast or Windows 7 + Avast works just fine.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:30 pm 

This thread took some googling but has been very useful for me. I've got the same problem. I've now inhibited Avast and the NAS has returned. Have you found anyway to run your anti virus whilst maintaining NAS comms?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:48 pm 

No. I'm still using Windows 8 without Avast.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:57 pm 

Thanks for getting this information out as to this problem.

I have XP and Windows 7 machines on network accessing NAS for months w/o problems.

Suddenly new Windows 8 machine started causing problems. Whenever NAS was accessed from this machine (after Avast installed) it would disable NAS from the network for all machines.

I had an open case with iOmega, and have notified them of the combination causing this problem.

My solution will be to use Trend Micro and dump avast.

I did check the Avast forum, and the question was asked without solution if they could co-exist.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:16 pm 

For info, I've just installed Avast v8 and found the problem is fixed. My Iomega NAS is now solid with Avast enabled.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:28 pm 

Anyone had this problem but with windows 7 and avast?

thanks
Cristian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:01 pm 

Hello
I have similar issue but with PS3 on Iomega Home Media Cloud Edition SW 3.2.8.30031.
It works properly until PS3 (Play Station 3) is switched on and connects to the network. NAS IP address can be ping but not other service seems to respond.
I do not think it is a HW issue but I cannot figure out what to check. I have logged in as support (root) into NAS but do not see any particular error in standard messages and kernel logs, nor soho log. I haven't tried yet to enable debugging.
Does anyone have a clue?
Br,
Gustavo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:01 pm 

Hello
I have similar issue but with PS3 on Iomega Home Media Cloud Edition SW 3.2.8.30031.
It works properly until PS3 (Play Station 3) is switched on and connects to the network. NAS IP address can be ping but not other service seems to respond.
I do not think it is a HW issue but I cannot figure out what to check. I have logged in as support (root) into NAS but do not see any particular error in standard messages and kernel logs, nor soho log. I haven't tried yet to enable debugging.
Does anyone have a clue?
Br,
Gustavo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:15 pm 

This might be the issue.