Streaming movies from HD to Samsung TV

Milhadir

Streaming movies from HD to Samsung TV

Post by Milhadir » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:47 pm

Hello,

I've a problem with streaming subtitles towards my Samsung TV. I've read several topics about this, but none of them figured to actually nail the problem, so that's why I try my own topic:

I have a Samsung UE40D6200, configured in my network together with a "iomega network hard drive - clound edition", (most recent firmwire). My ultimate goal is to put all my movies onto this network drive, together with corresponding subtitles (.srt) and then play them directly on my TV. All the obvious is ok, files are in same location & names are equal etc.

This works great for .avi & .mkv, but when playing .mp4 or .m4v, subtitles are not displayed (movies are OK)

What did I try?
- Steam .mp4 movies directly from HD to TV -> NOT OK
- Stream content from the HD to my PC -> ALL OK
- Put the movie on another hard drive and connect it directly to the tv using USB -> ALL OK
Also tried putting files on my PC (windows 7) and:
- Steam them to my TV (so the computer pushes them, pc is both server & player, tv only displays content) -> OK
- Use my pc as media server & let my TV play them -> also OK

So HD supports subtitles when using PC & TV supports subtitles when using USB...
It seems that the problem only occurs when using DLNA between my TV & network drive directly...

Possible solutions:
- Samsung does not support subtiles for .mp4 when using DLNA
- Twonky Server (installed on HD) does not support transferring subtitles (but then again, it works when steaming to my PC)
- ???

Does anyone has more info? Might it work to instal a newer version of Twonky Server on the HD? How do I do this? :?

Thx in advance ;)

buongiorgio

Re: Streaming movies from HD to Samsung TV

Post by buongiorgio » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:50 am

You could try this. Power on your tv and watch something from twonky. Now power up your computer, open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.2:9000 (you should change 192.168.1.2 with the ip address of the iomega network hd). Now browse the menu and search for the media receiver section. It should be under the sharing menu, but I am not sure because I have omv installed and there is not twonky on it. When you located the media receiver sections, you should find a list of devices that connected to twonky e.g iPad, tvs, pc. For each of them there is a drop-down list headed media receiver type or something similar: then select your tv samsung tv or samsung smart tv, I do not remember well. Each time you reboot the iomega you have to go through this operation.

mamadou

Post by mamadou » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:29 pm

try mediaTomb.

there is a post that explains how to install it --> Post subject: OMV - mediatomb as DLNA

good luck

Milhadir

Post by Milhadir » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:29 am

To close this post:

I don't think there is an "out of the box" solution. Seems like Samsung just doesn't support the .mp4 protocol when using DLNA (stupid they do support is using usb though... :? )

Anyway, I just don't use .mp4's anymore, most of the movies are .mkv or .avi, so problem kind of solved itself.

If you really want to play .mp4 with subtitles & don't want to spend too much money, you might want to take a loot at the Raspberry Pi. It can be used to set-up a small media center which supports subtitles for all available movie extentions

aquamars

Post by aquamars » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:53 pm

Well, it works for me!
You will just need to change the receiver type @ the Twonky setup => http://your-nas-ip:50599
Under setup, media receivers you should give your TV MAC address and IP the prover category, "Samsung TV", and Advanced Navigation.
This will solve your subtitles issue, and the navigation issue you didn't knew you had...

cheers
Martin

Milhadir

Post by Milhadir » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:44 pm

Changing the media receiver in your Twonky configuration is indeed the minimum required set-up, didn't explicitely mention it, but I already did this. If you don't change the media receiver configuration you actually have a whole lot more problems (don't think .mkv play subtitles then, but not sure anymore).

So problem stil remains: when config is set correct .avi & .mkv work great, but when playing .mp4 or .m4v, subtitles are not displayed (movies are OK)

Personally I just stopped looking, I converted everything to .mkv or .avi & stopped using .mp4 or .m4v :D

billyelliott

Post by billyelliott » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:12 am

Provided that you need to stream music from a neighborhood Pc to the Tv the absence of an Internet association might not be an issue.

The modem may as well associate with the switch's Wan port.

The Tv and machine might as well unite with the switch's Lan ports.

A switch unites two differentiate systems and supervises the movement between them.

In most home system provisions the switch unites your neighborhood aggregation of machines and units reputed to be the Lan with the Internet, usually called the Wan or Wide Area Network.

The broadband modem unites with the switch port marked Wan or Internet through a standard Ethernet patch link that generally is incorporated with the switch.

There are normally 4 Lan ports on the switch to associate Pcs and different units by means of Ethernet links if need be.

To stream from a nearby workstation to the Tv all that is truly needed is a Lan association between the two units. In the event that you need to stream Internet radio, for example Pandora, then a Wan (Internet) association might additionally be needed.
More information-watching hulu in us

aquamars

Post by aquamars » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:51 pm

I remembered this issue a few days back when I needed to stream something like this. No subtitles working... I look the file, it was of course an .mp4
Quite a fest solution though....

The only thing you need to do is change the files extension from .mp4 to .mkv !!!
No need to convert files (or maybe by convert you meant just this, change the extension)
The restart twonky or make it update the library
It worked great

Regards,
Martin

Hytecher

Post by Hytecher » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:12 am

There are some common methods to fix Samsung TV subtitles problems. For instance, you need to put the subtitles and movies in the same folder. But it can't fix some further streaming problem so you'd better choose an appropriate subtitle format. Most Samsung TVs support external .ttxt, .smi, .srt, .sub, .ssa and .ass format