i2c-adapter message in dmesg, a concern?

bobthechemist

i2c-adapter message in dmesg, a concern?

Post by bobthechemist » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi,

I recently bricked my HMHHDCE and got it back up and running with a fresh install and a good chunk of my data thanks to some previous posts. I'm now a bit paranoid about the integrity of the hard drive. My reason for concern is due to a complete_fast_write() warning that shows up every 1 second in dmesg when I am about 3/5 of the way through a backup of a Windows 7 professional system (using Windows backup). The backup does not proceed beyond that point and does not stop when I stop the backup (although it did not start until I started the backup).

Upon reboot of the HMHHDCE, I no longer see the complete_fast_write() message, however the last 7 lines of dmesg are i2c-adapter i2c-0: master_xfer[0] W, addr=0x51, len=2. I have no idea if these two issues are related so I apologize in advance if I've started two topics in this one thread.

BoB

Mijzelf

Re: i2c-adapter message in dmesg, a concern?

Post by Mijzelf » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:18 pm

I don't think this is directly correlated to your write problem, unless it's a heat problem. The I2C bus is normally used to connect low-traffic devices like RTC, fan controller and temperature sensor. So it could be your fan doesn't run fast enough to cool the unit. To test that you could use smartctl to query the temperature of the disk itself. When that stays below, let's say, 50 degrees Celcius there is no problem here.

seidler2547

Re: i2c-adapter message in dmesg, a concern?

Post by seidler2547 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:24 pm

The i2c messages are from the RTC (real-time clock), and are only debug messages which the kernel writes. Nothing to worry about, it means that the software is syncing the RTC clock with the runtime clock.

Stefan