HMNHD cannot be accessed by PCs

deedub777

HMNHD cannot be accessed by PCs

Post by deedub777 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi all,

Really hope someone can help here. (Yes I've searched thru for similar issues but found nothing).

I have a 1TB HMNHD Cloud Edition connected to my router. Various PC's wireless devices, PS3, Bluray player, etc. are connected to the network either wired or wireless.

When connected (wireless or wired) from PS3, Bluray player (ie media devices) the NAs can be accessed but when connected from a PC (Windows 7, 8, XP) the drive disappears. I reboot the device and everything is OK again - for a while (days, minutes, hours, it depends).

What I lack is the investigatory skills to find out what is happening here so any step-by-step diagnosis help would be fab.

Thanks,

Oh, and if I've missed some vital info you need, just reply and I'll post it up.

deedub777

Re: HMNHD cannot be accessed by PCs

Post by deedub777 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:01 pm

I have seen this same issue on numerous forums including the official iomega (now lenovo) forum. Response from iomega is install latest firmware (I've got that) or it's a hardware problem. I don't believe the hardware B; I even read a review that experiences the same problem. Someone must have a workaround as I see many users on here without problems - can you share your configs??

Could it be AV software? Anyone using Trend PC-cillin?? AVG, what? Help!

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:28 pm

What do you exactly mean with 'disappear'? Does it disappear from the list of network devices? Can you still ping it? If you can ping it, can't you just access it by IP address?

deedub777

Post by deedub777 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:49 am

Mijzelf wrote:What do you exactly mean with 'disappear'? Does it disappear from the list of network devices? Can you still ping it? If you can ping it, can't you just access it by IP address?
Apologies for not being clear... Here's what happens...
1. Using windows explorer, the MediaStore (as I've named it) is not discovered in the network-->Computer list
2. If it is there and I double0-click to navigate to the folders, I am not able to access them (green progress bar in address line moves slowly across and never finds the folders)
3. I can ping the address from cmd line OK
4. 'Sometimes' I can access it as a media device (eg from PS3)

Thanks

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Have you enabled ssh access? In that case you could have a look if samba is still running.

Code: Select all

ps -A | grep mbd
should show a smbd and an nmbd. You can also restart samba:

su
/etc/init.d/samba.sh restart

deedub777

Post by deedub777 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:32 pm

Mijzelf wrote:Have you enabled ssh access? In that case you could have a look if samba is still running.

ps -A | grep mbd
should show a smbd and an nmbd. You can also restart samba:

su
/etc/init.d/samba.sh restart
No, this is the sort of info I need thanks. I'll give that a go. Do I need any special instructions to enable SSH?
thanks

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:37 pm

deedub777 wrote:Do I need any special instructions to enable SSH?
Don't know. Do you? It's in the Wiki.

deedub777

Post by deedub777 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:27 am

Mijzelf wrote:
deedub777 wrote:Do I need any special instructions to enable SSH?
Don't know. Do you? It's in the Wiki.
No I didn't :o thanks, taking a look now.
Point is, it shouldn't go away like this should it :x
I have a basic level of understanding tech stuff so OK to mess about with command line stuff but some users that just want to 'play music' or 'watch movies' are screwed :twisted:

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:10 am

Point is, it shouldn't go away like this should it
Agreed. But I *think* it has something to do with an update pushed by Microsoft, as the NAS didn't change over time. That means that possibly a firmware update is needed, and I can imagine Iomega has no budget for that, as this box sells for the price of it's disk. You get what you pay for.
But maybe we can find a work around, if we can find the actual cause.

deedub777

Post by deedub777 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:35 am

Mijzelf wrote:
Point is, it shouldn't go away like this should it
Agreed. But I *think* it has something to do with an update pushed by Microsoft, as the NAS didn't change over time. That means that possibly a firmware update is needed, and I can imagine Iomega has no budget for that, as this box sells for the price of it's disk. You get what you pay for.
But maybe we can find a work around, if we can find the actual cause.
Thanks for your help on this, I just checked and it has gone again, ping still works, done a restart and now and setup SSH. I have the latest firmware they created. darn this thing...

deedub777

Post by deedub777 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:27 pm

So I have SSH enabled but not sure how to log in to the drive or run the code :oops:
I get that this is command line but can I log into the drive from a windows pc cmd window?

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:54 pm

Download and use PuTTY.

deedub777

Post by deedub777 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:52 am

Logged in to the drive using PuTTY and login is possible when the drive can be seen by windows. When the drive cannot be seen by windows, PuTTY is not given the chance to login. Ping still gets a reply.

So, I guess that means samba is not running?

Loads of thanks @Mijzelf for this help so far, by the way, this has been happening since I bought it, I just didn't know it was the NAS, thought it was the router or something else.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:07 am

deedub777 wrote:When the drive cannot be seen by windows, PuTTY is not given the chance to login. Ping still gets a reply.

So, I guess that means samba is not running?
Samba and ssh are unrelated. They are both daemons which run independently on different ports. So if both sshd and samba seems to be down, I guess it's *not* samba.
The webserver is down too, I guess?

You write that sometimes the media server still works, and ping works. The media server might use the UDP protocol, while ping does ICMP. Samba, sshd and the webserver all use TCP. So possibly the TCP stack is crashed? If so, there is not much you can do, I'm afraid.
If un- and replugging the network cable in the NAS solves the problem for a while, it might be possible to run a script on the box which resets the network port when the problem happens. -If the problem is detectable from inside.

deedub777

Post by deedub777 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:38 pm

Un-plugging and replugging does not help and currently only ping works (no media device access). I guess I'm in the market for a product that works then