General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:45 pm 

We need to know if this is a nas with arm processor (2big version 1 or 2) or a nas with intel processor (2big pro). What does the sticker on the bottom mention as type? Do you have an instruction manual? Also that could reveal the type.
If the 3TB disks were the original disk is likely that it is an intel based nas. If it is an intel based one I cannot help you if it is an arm based nas then you could try to install our custom firmware see http://plugout.net

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:59 pm 

Thanks for the reply!!!
I don’t have any cd’s or manual though. I think it’s the first version btw..
I post the image of the button of it

Thank you very much

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:54 pm 

fvdw wrote:
We need to know if this is a nas with arm processor (2big version 1 or 2) or a nas with intel processor (2big pro). What does the sticker on the bottom mention as type? Do you have an instruction manual? Also that could reveal the type.
If the 3TB disks were the original disk is likely that it is an intel based nas. If it is an intel based one I cannot help you if it is an arm based nas then you could try to install our custom firmware see http://plugout.net

Anyway, if I’d love to try to install the arm version, where shall I look?
I’ve seen in that webpage some nas’s but not mine. Is the version 2big network the same in this case?
Because I tried also to follow the post on the wiki called 2big2 fresh installation but my nas never booted, either with gpt or mbr table on disks

Thanks again

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:38 am 

I think it's an Arm. I downloaded 2big-NAS%20Update%20Capsule%202.5.6.3.zip, and it contains
Code:
<Capsule>
        <Version>0.2</Version>
        <Device>
                <Hardware>
                        <Arch>arm</Arch>
                        <Subarch>feroceon_kw</Subarch>
                        <Id>nas2big</Id>
                        <Revision>1.0</Revision>
                </Hardware>
                <ProductId>2bignetwork2r</ProductId>
        </Device>
So yes, the fvdw firmware for the 2Big Network v3 might fit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:37 pm 

Hi

:D
Indeed if it is an arm platform, that should be ok.

I see only two issues :
- if ubooot on v3 does not have the same behaviour (have to be able to load kernel on sda7)
- if device name in cpuinfo is pretty different as our firmware uses it to detect the platform type and set some parameters according with it. But this may be easily fixed.

As it is empty disks (or not valid for this NAS), it is worth to do a try

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:27 pm 

I will definitely do a try. I just hope to have enough knowledge to try this route.
If its just to create partitions table and partitions themselves with dd, mdadm or goateed or whatever it’s fine. But if in the future I’ll need to open the box and work with the serial interface, idk either what hardware I need and then if i’d Be able to.
I’ll let you know at the end so in the future I hope to be helpful for other ppl in my same situation.

Just to let you know, in the same time I’m requesting your help, I did the same to lacie’s support.
It’s.. just incredible. They neither know which nas I have while I have em my s/n. They don’t know if it has a built in flash or the os is on disks. They tried to support me giving tries..
the worst part is when I I told em that this nas, instead of all my qnap, Buffalo, synology, etc... is the only one with 2 available removable drives so, it’s obvious that I could change them both without braking warranty (in case it would be happened in the first 2 years). So how is that possible that now I cannot fix it?!?
They also told me that they do not provide main OS...

I would just love to know someone with the same model that could borrow me one hard drive to recreate mines or at least one online with a sata adapter that would copy all its partitions except data one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:21 pm 

Hi panda88,

panda88 wrote:
I will definitely do a try. I just hope to have enough knowledge to try this route.
If its just to create partitions table and partitions themselves with dd, mdadm or goateed or whatever it’s fine. But if in the future I’ll need to open the box and work with the serial interface, idk either what hardware I need and then if i’d Be able to.
I’ll let you know at the end so in the future I hope to be helpful for other ppl in my same situation.
No need to do it manually. I assume you have a Windows laptop and then you just need to use fvdw-sl console which will install our firmware on the disk https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1271

So first steps :
- install fvdw-sl console on your windows laptop
- read help files carefully because if you do not follow the procedure correctly, installation will fail
- keep only one disk (in the left slot when you see the back side)
- run fvdw-sl console
- follow the install steps when you use the action "install fvdw-sl firmware" and declare you have a 2big nas

Jocko wrote:
- if device name in cpuinfo is pretty different as our firmware uses it to detect the platform type and set some parameters according with it. But this may be easily fixed.
I expect some issues about this.

As you have create an account on plugout.net, I suggest to post there now your feedbacks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:30 am 

continuing here : https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2773