General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:47 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:24 pm 

Hello,

I have a 6TB 2Big NAS drive running on RAID 1. Everything has been going well until recently I've been getting that flashing red-blue light on the front LED button. I went into the dashboard and checked the drive status which stated that I had protection and that drive 2 is inactive.

I shut the system down, removed drive 2, plugged it back in and powered up. Both drives started to synchronize ... took an entire day. Eventually everything was okay showing the solid blue light. Approximately one week later the same happened again! This is the third time it has happened all on it's own.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on, or what I could look into?

If it means anything, I do noticed that when the system was okay, and while I am on my computer doing other stuff not related to the Lacie, I noticed that the unit is clicking away constantly busily. Is that normal?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:28 am 

When a disk is dropped repeatedly from a raidarray, it's wise to consider that disk 'incompatible'. The disk is dropped when it returns an error on any command. That doesn't necessarily mean the disk is bad, but it can't stand the requirements of the current raidsystem.
It could also be the nas itself. You can exchange the disks to see if the problem follows the disk, or stays with the slot.

Deacq wrote:
I do noticed that when the system was okay, and while I am on my computer doing other stuff not related to the Lacie, I noticed that the unit is clicking away constantly busily. Is that normal?
It's normal that the NAS is active when your PC is active, especially when you 'mapped' the NAS. The OS of the PC is regularly talking to the NAS.
About clicking, there are two different ways a harddisk can click. By calibration, or by parking the heads. Both shouldn't happen too much. If a disk calibrates more often than, lets say, twice in a minute, it has bad mechanics. When it parks the heads too often it gives excessive wear. Actually with normal use the lifetime of a disk is limited by it's 'load cycles', and not by it's 'flying hours'.
Especially some versions of the WD Green are infamous for their aggressive head parking, lowering their lifetime as NAS disks significantly. Smart can tell you the 'Load Cycle Count'.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:46 pm 

Thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested by exchanging the drives and the problem did follow the drive. So this means that the drive in question is incompatible? Is there a way to fix this or do I have to purchase a new drive?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:10 am 

I don't think it can be repaired.