General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:50 am 

Hi there,
So this is a bit of a weird one. I've just added a new 1TB drive in drive bay 1. The drive is all good, I checked it before inserting.
I'm adding it as a JBOD volume, but the thing is is, once I go through the 'preparing system' process, it tells me it's a Broken Raid - but I added it as a JBOD(?)
What am I missing?
Do I need to remove the drive from the unit, reformat it (I'm on a Mac, so let me know what kind of format) & try again?
Or should I be looking/trying something else?
Here are a few screen shots:
Any ideas???
Thanks,
Jason

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:21 pm 

How new is new? Could it indeed contain a part of a read array?

As far as I can see on your screenshots everything is fine, it's only complaining about the something on that new disk.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:31 pm 

Hey Mijzelf,
Yes, I'd thought of that too - it's not 'new' (as in a new drive) but I did check it in DriveDX & it's not reporting any errors.
Which brings me to my next question - if it does have something on it (part of an old raid array) how do I completely wipe it so it's not picking this up when I insert the drive?
In other words - what kind of format do I need to run on it & is that all I need to do?
Or is it potentially more complicated than that?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:41 pm 

jhkoning wrote:
I did check it in DriveDX & it's not reporting any errors.
A broken raid is not a disk error. It's just a partition with a raid header inside. If the array which is defined by the header can't be assembled, the array is broken.
Quote:
Which brings me to my next question - if it does have something on it (part of an old raid array) how do I completely wipe it so it's not picking this up when I insert the drive?
In most cases you just remove all partitions. Or wipe the first megabyte or something like that. Doesn't the NAS accept it when you say 'yes' on the 'are you sure you want to continue' question?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:47 pm 

Ok, I formatted the disk externally (using Disk Utility) popped it back in set it up as a new JBOD disk & still get the broken raid error. I'm unable to format it within the Lacie Dashboard for some reason?
So if there is something on it that's telling the system it was part of a raid array - how do I remove that?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:05 pm 

Ah, You get your 'broken raid' message after you formatted the disk?

It's certainly possible that the box creates a single disk raid array, even if you choose simple JBOD, in case you want to add more disks later. In that case 'broken raid' here means that the raid manager fails to 'assemble' the array, after creating it.

That is a serious problem. The first possibility which comes to my mind is that the disk cannot be accessed, or that it cannot be read/written reliable. The disk is probably not a direct cause, as DriveDX didn't find problems. Maybe there is a problem with the slot? Can you test the disk in another slot?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:48 pm 

Yes, after I formatted the disk.
I'll swap that disk with the other JBOD one & see what happens... thanks for your continued help