General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:25 am 

Has anyone managed to get ssh/telnet access to their LaCinema Classic HD box yet?

I've trawled the usual forums, but can't find anything of use.

My next step may seem a little drastic but I've just ordered another (since my first is full up, but I think they're still useful), and will be removing the drive to place it in my main box in order to try and hack it from there.

I asked LaCie support, and unsurprisingly I received the following response:

"The only method that we would be able to provide you is this https://IP:9000/webbrowse
We wont be able to provide further information regarding how the drive operates as we were not authorized to and we wont be supporting any type of hacks whatsoever. Let me mention that dismantling the drive or using hacks will void the warranty.
Thanks!"

Not exactly user friendly, but kind of expected.

If there's no immediate hacks available, I'd appreciate any pointers to hacking the drive once it's in my main box. I'm OK with hardware, but fairly new to software hacking. I'm thinking I'm going to have to reset the root passwd / set up a new account, and install a ssh daemon - should be fnu!

I'll share whatever results I get once I receive my new LaCinema (probably towards the end of next week) and have had a weekend or two trying to work it out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:17 am 

Looking at a firmware of this box, I think it will be harder than hacking one of the Lacie Nasses. The zipfile contains two binary files, both containing a romfs. So I think the firmware will be completely in rom, except, maybe, the user settings.
This could be easy to test. Just look if it still boots without harddisk. When it does, you'll have to generate your own romfs file and flash it to be able to change anything.
Unless. Some rom based nasses will call a script on harddisk, or USB stick, when it exists. See this and this. How to find out? You can try to unpack the romfs in the firmware (available at Lacie), and look at the start scripts. (maybe /etc/rcS, or /etc/init.d/*, or /sbin/init). Or try to find a serial port, and look at the bootlog, and when you're lucky it will even give you a shell.
Studying the GPL sources is not a bad idea either, but it can be a lot harder to find out how the firmware actually works, than studying the generated rootfs.

You could also try this hack. Maybe it gives you access to the running rootfs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:50 am 

Hey, thanks for the pointers Mijzelf

I understand what you mean re the romfs, and its a little scary to say the least.

I''m just grabbing the firmware from lacie, and will give that a good viewing over the weekend.

I had hoped that it'd be similar to hacking my previous 1TB LaCie Network Storage box, as I'd found working howtos for that quite easily. Perhaps I was being a little naive in hoping there'd be a similar approach for the LaCinema. However, after having a quick read of the some of your links, there may be hope yet :)

Especially your Root access on the NS2 using a symlink on an USB-stick/disk posting.

Many Thanks!

I'll let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:01 am 

Hi derrickr,

I would be really curious to know what your experience was in the end. I would like to try and install XBMC! :)

Thx!