General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:13 pm 

Hi,

I've found this forum after several searches, I hope you can help me. I think this is a problem most likely pissing off many Cloudbox owners. I have a Samsung TV conected to my home network that is able to stream the files that I have stored in my Cloudbox through Allshare. However, if these files are in mkv format, I get an error saying the file can't be played. The funny thing is that, a fraction of the times, I'm able to play these mkv files! Everytime I add new videos to my Cloudbox I re-index the multimedia contents through the "General settings" menu of the Lacie Dashboard. And when I do that, say ~10% of the times my Samsung TV is able to stream the mkv files. However, once I add more videos and re-index, the magic configuration goes away and I lose the capacity to play these files (even the SAME files that were working before). Let me also say that the mkv files from a USB drive are played perfectly on my Samsung TV.
I've google around a lot with this problem, without any succesful solution. I've tried changing the extension of the files from mkv to mp4 or avi, but this doesn't work.
I guess a posible solution could be installing servers like miniDLNA on the CloudBox, but I have no idea on how to do this, plus I'd like to avoid losing all the files that are already in the hard disk! :)
Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:24 pm 

I had the same problem. I took alot of my personal owned DVD's and made MKV files from and they play great on PC's but NOT these types of devices. And to go a little further, its not the LaCie drive but the media player in the TV itself. I have a Logitec Revue and it streams movies from the LaCie cloud box with files converted to MP4's to my main TV.
When I tried to play an MKV through the Revue, all I could get was sound and no video. Other times I received an error.
The solution was to take the MKV files made from MakeMKV using FLAC mode, then run it through HandBrake with Universal Profile set and a video frame-rate of 2500KBs. The file name was set with an MP4 extension then wait about 30 - 50 mins for it to finish making the file and viola! Streaming my DVD's to any tv in the home!

Now all the movies play great from the CloudBox.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:03 pm 

Thanks gdlgiii! However I already have a lot of files in mkv and converting them all would be a bit painful... I may consider it if no one else comes with another solution...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:37 pm 

I finally did it!! :D

For others, this is what I did.
Follow the instructions here to allow the Twonky server configuration. Once your Samsung Smart TV is connected go to the twonky configuration,
- go to settings->sharing->media receivers -> Look for the IP of your TV -> Change from Generic receiver to Samsung Smart TV
- Save changes

you can now play MKV files!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:41 am 

Technically MKV is just a shell which may contain various video and audio codec, bitrates, resolution, frame rate etc. However, Samsung TV only plays MKV files with specific parameters inside. Now, you may have a clue why we can play successfully some MKV files on Samsung TV, but fail to play other MKV movies.

To solve Samsung TV MKV playback issues, the best bet is to convert MKV to Samsung TV more compatible video format at http://www.idealshare.net/video-converter/samsung-tv-mkv.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:53 pm 

I still haven't found a mkv file I'm not able to play on my samsung TV. It only happened once that I couldn't play the audio because of the decoding (just had to change this decoding to another one)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:07 am 

Can Samsung TV Play MKV?

From Samsung official website, we know that MKV is really one of Samsung TV compatible video formats. If so, why we still encounter the issue "Samsung TV won't play MKV"? That's because MKV is a container format, which is a kind of Matroska media files while Matroska is a new multimedia package format, also known as multi-media containers. It can be a variety of encoded video and more than 16 different formats of audio and subtitle streams in different languages package them into a Matroska Media files. So, comes the question, when we try to play MKV with Samsung TV unsupported audio codec, image or subtitle, like an MKV file with DTS audio.

In order to play MKV on Samsung TV effortlessly, here, we strongly recommend you Faasoft MKV to Samsung TV Converter to convert MKV to Samsung TV more compatible formats like MP4.

Source:
http://www.faasoft.com/articles/samsung ... ution.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:04 am 

According to my experience, the Samsung TV may refuse to play some of these MKV files with an unhelpful audio codec error message displaying right on your screen. In fact, MKV is just a container format, holding video, audio, image or subtitle files in it. The video and audio files in different MKV files can be encoded with different codecs. For example, an MKV file with DTS audio can't be rendered on Samsung TV. To fix the problem, you need to convert MKV to a fully compatible format with Samsung TV.

Here is a workaround for you: How to encode MKV files to play on Samsung TV

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:51 pm 

Samsung TV does not support the MKV container, but it seems to be very popular today.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:17 am 

All your need is just a video converter ,converter MP4 to any other formats can played on Samsung TV or other device .
Recommend two tools my favorites
Free and open tool: https://handbrake.fr/
Paid and easy-to-use tool: http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/hd-video-converter/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:41 am 

robertdiligente wrote:
Technically MKV is just a shell which may contain various video and audio codec, bitrates, resolution, frame rate etc. However, Samsung TV only plays MKV files with specific parameters inside. Now, you may have a clue why we can play successfully some MKV files on Samsung TV, but fail to play other MKV movies.

To solve Samsung TV MKV playback issues, the best bet is to convert MKV to Samsung TV more compatible video format at http://www.idealshare.net/video-converter/samsung-tv-mkv.html

Thank you for sharing this article, it really works and helps me to succesfully play MKV files on my Samsung TV.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:45 am 

removed...

Last edited by timmdd on Fri May 26, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:16 am 

An MKV is just a container format, holding video, audio, image or subtitle files in it. The video and audio files in different MKV files can be encoded with different codecs. For example, an MKV file with DTS audio can't be rendered on Samsung TV. A professional MKV to Samsung TV converter lets you convert any MKV files to best fit the TV. It's the Brorsoft Video Converter.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:31 pm 

According to Samsung TV’s official site, Samsung TV support MKV format. However, when you try to do it, your TV may refuse to play some of these MKV files with an unhelpful audio codec error message displaying right on your screen. It’s so strange, isn’t it? There is a strong possibility that your MKV files contains DTS audio (Different MKV files are with different audio codecs). Samsung TV has poor compatibility with DTS audio. In a case like this, you have to make audio stream in MKV files compatible with Samsung TV. It sounds a bit complicated. Actually, this problem is easy to solve – all you have to do is convert the MKV videos to Samsung TV compatible format using a third-party tool. Once you have, you can transfer all the output files to CloudBox and then play them on Samsung TV via CloudBox.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:12 am 

You may also try this method to solve can't play MKV files on Samsung TV at http://www.avdshare.com/mkv-to-samsung-tv-converter

According to my test, it also helps to solve can't play other video files on Samsung TV like WTV, WMV, MP4, AVI, MOV, MPG, AVCHD, MXF etc