General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Self-repairing Cloudbox?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:55 am 

This may sound like a daft question, but are CloudBox's in any way self-repairing?

To explain....
I was running out of space on my CloudBox and decided to delete a couple of folders by using the Finder in Mac OS X to drag them to the bin. Both these folders had lots of little files and so the operation was going to take more time than I had so I aborted the delete.
Next time that I logged on I realised that the CloudBox was running very slowly, struggling to open folders to show the files inside etc. until a couple of days later it died :(

I went through many of the same things as others on here, plugged the hard drive into a USB caddy and discovered about the CloudBox's "interesting" file structure and that I couldn't simply copy the data....

Looking at the partitions made me wonder if the first partition was corrupted and, using the LaCie Network Assistant, I managed to "upgrade" the software to the latest version. However this seemed to reset the directory structure even though it seemed to recognise that the "missing" data was taking up space on the disk.

Then one day it started to re-appear! The user folders were in Recovery/Family/Recovery/ but access to them was still very slow and a folder with a lot of entries (1000-ish) just wouldn't show what was inside. Obviously I started copying off data onto a new disk, but it was still very slow.

Finally it looks as if I can see all of the files on the CloudBox, even the folder with a lot of items, but for the moment getting them off the CloudBox is still painfully slow.

So finally my question, does the OS have some way of "automatically" rebuilding the directory, or is it that I've opened the folders in the hope of finding the files and that's prompted the rebuild?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:38 pm 

stephenw wrote:
So finally my question, does the OS have some way of "automatically" rebuilding the directory, or is it that I've opened the folders in the hope of finding the files and that's prompted the rebuild? Thanks.

I am not sure about that however, my question is whether the firmware has a time lapse and if the box is offline and unable to auto-update can trigger self destruction. That appears to what happened to my Cloudbox soon after the warranty expired. The darn thing doesn't ever respond to the on/off button...just plug in the power cord, and the blue light start blinking....seems to be a poorly and improper design.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:53 pm 

A blue blinking led means most of the time that the firmware failed to load. It seems that firmware updates from lacie sometimes corrupt some files on the disk an as result it fails to boot. As lacie uses a raid setup on the cloudbox (ridiculous on a songle disk device if you ask me) it is not easy to repair the damaged file system or get the data from the disk.
On plugout.net forum you can download a standalone kernel that enables you to investigate what is wrong with the disk. There are several topics describing similar problems with solutions. Also that forum offers an alternative firmware that can be installed on the cloudbox http://plugout.net

Ps the hardware of this nas is not bad, it is the software from lacie causing the problems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:18 am 

I've come to the conclusion that there's a disk block with an intermittent problem which means that sometime I can get down the directory structure through all the Family/Recovery/Family/Recovery... levels to where my data is but mostly I can't.

fvdw, what's the utility for checking and preparing disks that you mentioned?
A quick scan of the threads on plugout mentions replacement os that will wipe the existing data, not a utility.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:43 am 

We have the fvdw-sl console. It runs under windows. It can load a standalone kernel, a kernel that runs from RAM. Even without a disk inside or a broken or not booting disk you can connect to this kernel using a telnet client. That allows you then to investigate the problem with disk.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:27 am 

fvdw wrote:
A blue blinking led means most of the time that the firmware failed to load. It seems that firmware updates from lacie sometimes corrupt some files on the disk an as result it fails to boot. As lacie uses a raid setup on the cloudbox (ridiculous on a songle disk device if you ask me) it is not easy to repair the damaged file system or get the data from the disk.
On plugout.net forum you can download a standalone kernel that enables you to investigate what is wrong with the disk. There are several topics describing similar problems with solutions. Also that forum offers an alternative firmware that can be installed on the cloudbox http://plugout.net

Ps the hardware of this nas is not bad, it is the software from lacie causing the problems

Thanks for sharing...I tried to register on the Plugout.net site, which will not accept my Gmail email address...it that forum opened to worldwide members? I am in the U.S.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:39 am 

Hi NolliNas,

We ban by default gmail address (main email address by spammers). So send a message to admin[at]plugout[dot]net with your gmail address and we will add an exclude rule for it.